Having another round of pain round my ribs. I also feel nauseous are these MS symptoms ?
Hi Anon, nausea is not normally an MS symptom, although some people do get it with vertigo… sort of sea-sickness. You should see your GP about it.
The pain around your ribs might be something called MS hug… this is when the muscles between the ribs go into spasm and it can happen with other conditions so not necessarily MS.
It might be connected to the feeling sick… so again see your GP.
Below are some copy and paste tips that help with hug… they might help so give them a try.
It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:
· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs
· Much worse in heat
· Much worse when fatigued or stressed
· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)
· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better
· Avoid large meals… little and often is better
· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps
· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s
· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it
· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better
· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)
· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal
I have experienced severe nausea and my view is I’m not bothered if it fits a doctors check box of MS symptoms or not. It is still a symptom which impacts upon my life so it is still worth addressing whatever the cause. I hope you feel better soon, hon. The nausea thing is rubbish. Take care x
Chest pain and nausea can be to do with the digestive system (but MSers also get them) - probably best to get checked out by gastroenterology. Karen x