qst re symptoms

Hi everyone, i want to ask re a symptom. i feel like i am being strangled around my torso, like pressure is being piled on there. Has anybody had anything like that? Thanks.

I haven’t had it (yet) but it sounds like MS hug to me.

take care x

sorry to say but it does sound like the ms hug,its caused by the muscles in your torso going into spasm,i have had it a few times,rest as much as you can,try do deep breathing excercises they can help, i lie down, and place my arms over my head and this helps me,and wear loose tops too, i take the odd diazepam if mine gets too bad,it relaxes muscles,but does make you sleepy.

Hiya,

MS hug or girdle effect

Why does MS cause the hug or girdle effect?
This is a spasm-type symptom that is one of the more unusual effects of MS. Between each of our ribs are tiny muscles called intercostal muscles. These hold the ribs in place but provide flexibility at the same time. If these muscles go into spasm, the result can be uncomfortable or painful. This is sometimes referred to as ‘banding’.

Effects
People with this symptom of MS describe a burning or tight sensation which spreads around the rib cage, causing a crushing feeling that can range from uncomfortable to very painful. Sometimes it is accompanied by pins and needles. Most commonly felt around the ribs, occasionally the effect is experienced in the hands or feet.

Treatments
Individuals with MS who experience the hug or girdle effect do not always have the same degree of intensity of pain. For some, it is no more than an uncomfortable feeling, which passes without the need for any treatment. Others, however, need pain relief to deal with the spasm. Analgesic cream, warmth and painkillers are all used to provide relief. Your medical professional will discuss how best to manage your pain and will bear in mind any other drugs you are taking.

G

Yep M.S Hug…blimin horrible feeling :frowning: hope it improves soon x