Progressive MS and new symptom?

Hello

Can you experience new symptoms when you have progressive MS?

I seem to have developed a sharp pain above my ear which I feel when I move my head down. The pain is intense but only lasts seconds.

I was wondering if this could be a new symptom related to my MS or something completely separate.Has anyone here experienced something similar?

TIA

Hi,

I thought, by its very nature, progressive meant more symptoms as time goes on. Unfortunately, it’s only the remissions you don’t get - not new symptoms.

Nevertheless, if anything new happens that you’re not convinced is related, it would be wise to get it checked out.

I don’t want to frighten you, but a former regular here (don’t think anything’s happened to her - she just no longer posts) once said the commonest cause of death amongst MSers was ignoring something important, because they assumed it was MS.

I’m not sure how true it is, but certainly food for thought.

I’m the worst person in the world for taking my own advice, because since I was diagnosed, I assume every damn thing is MS, and hardly go to the doctor about anything. But there’s always the chance I’ll eventually get it wrong…

So if in doubt, check it out!

Tina

Hi, if you have PPMS, why not pop into the PPMS board? Not that you cant post on which ever board you wish of course. Just maybe theyll know a bit more about it.

luv Polxx

the answer is yes but as others say get it checked because it may not be MS related.

Trish444

1 Like

Hi Tina

You’re absolutely right, I should find out if it’s anything to worry about or not.

I think sometimes I just want to avoid going to the doctor.

Thanks for replying. :slight_smile:

Hi Pol

Oh, I didn’t know there was one. I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

sorry about that.

Hi Trish

Ok, thanks :slight_smile: I’ll contact my doc’s office tomorrow.

I totally get it about wanting to avoid the doctor! I really can’t understand all these people who are allegedly clogging up the system with non-essential visits.

I don’t go unless I’m really worried, or it’s unlivable with (probably how I managed to postpone being diagnosed with MS for years).

I not only find medical appointments really stressful, but it’s such a damn palaver these days. Can you ever get through to them? Can you get an appointment when you need one? If you manage to get one, is there a bus that gets you there OK? And so on…

I always end up thinking: “Well, it would be easier just to live with it, unless it gets much worse. And if I’ve got to wait three weeks for an appointment anyway, maybe it will go away by itself?” And nine times out of ten, it does!

Tina

x

Hi Tina

I rang my MS nurse and explained my symptoms. She said I should wait a week or two and if it doesn’t go away then make an appointment with my local doctor.

Trying to get an appointment at a suitable time is often difficult and I have a little girl so I need to make sure I have a baby sitter too.

Thanks for replying. :slight_smile:

Sounds like Neuropathic Pain. I started getting this recently, mostly in my hands, fingers and neck. As you say, intense but brief.