PPMS Depression

A new poster here.

Diagnosed 15 years ago but only recently felt effects of PPMS. Retired on medical grounds in December 18 after 35 years.

Mobility poor and can only manage a few paces with a frame. Stairlift now in place but house not suitable for wheelchair. Getting an extension with wet room and downstairs bedroom, but this is around 6 months away.

Feeling really down and depressed, wife suggests I try and speak to someone who can help. Any suggestions,?

Graham

Well you are in the right place for some chat Graham. I’m glad you’ve found your way here to the forum. We’re a mixed bunch but we all have the one thing in common, ms. There’s a mine of information between us and it’s a great place to come and have a whine, a moan, a rant a debate or a laugh. Are you on any DMD (disease modifying drugs)? I’ve been diagnosed with ppms four years ago this month. My progress has been rapid and I too manage to shuffle around indoors with a rollator but using the wheelchair outside is essential. Last month I finally accepted that I was feeling lower and lower and my gp prescribed a low dose antidepressant. It’s made a huge difference and I’m smiling again. You might find it helpful to post your question on the Everyday Living forum. It’s a very active one and you might get a bigger response. Oh, and as for the extension…you might read the thread of the same name there. I’m in the process of trying to get one.

Hello Graham.

I’m also waiting for a bathroom conversion. I can manage a shower but it’s hard work. For my own personal hygiene, I use cleansers and things. It really helps my self-esteem.

I hit the depression wall after retiring with ill health but I decided that I was going to do things. I needed an electric wheelchair and arranged the flat to suit me. It also helps me with getting out and about. If your house is unsuitable for a chair, you could look at stools with wheels etc. Do you have an MS nurse to talk to? Mine is really useful with practical matters. Your GP should be able to get you in touch. Then talk to the GP about depression. I know it’s a horrible word but my medication helps.

Then there’s the forum.

Best wishes, Steve.

Thanks for the advice folks, very much appreciated.

I’m on tecfidera but haven’t noticed any change, maybe just the case it helps prevent relapses, so the jury’s out. I have an MS nurse who I see every 6 months. Due to see her in a couple of weeks again, so will let her know my latest position. The anti depressants route is one I might go down, any help or relief would be welcome.

I gotta look on the bright side, many in my position couldn’t afford or practically get an extension to suit their needs.

Time to be positive. Graham

Hi Graham

The stigma around depression is has eased up a lot over the last decade or so, it’s still not an easy thing to talk about with many people though. I’ve had depression for years and got sick of people giving me pitiful looks and my family constantly commenting negatively about the fact I took tablets for it. My dad got seriously ill a few years ago though and both my parents ended up on anti depressants and both said afterwards that they were the best things they ever decided to take. What they say about walking a mile in someone else’s shoes was definitely appropriate.

They don’t suit everyone and take a while to kick in. Despite many of us calling them ‘happy pills’ they just take the edge off and make you feel calmer and more able to see the bigger picture. Your GP may instead send you to a counselor for cognitive behavioural therapy but please don’t just turn the offer of medication down to save face. You may only need it for a while, I’ve not successfully come off mine but if they keep me settled and motivated I’m happy to continue.

The people on the forum are good ‘listeners’ and an excellent source of information, tips and coping strategies, Nobody will criticize or mock you no matter the question. Good luck with the gp visit.

Cath