pip decision

Just a thought, what notice - if any - do the PIP assesors take of your EDSS “score”. For the last few years my Neuro has been assessing me at 6.5 (Requires two walking aids - pair of canes, crutches, etc - to walk about 20m without resting.)

My mobility has seriously worsened over that time to the point where I do use a wheelchair and I am seriously thinking of buying a mobility scooter to give me some independence but I don’t need it all the time so I am not quite at a 7 yet.

To my (uneducated) eye 6.5 would seem to put me slap bang in the highest rate mobility category for PIP but do they consider it? Do they even know what it is? In my case my neuro mentions it very briefly in the middle of a much longer and detailed account of her examination of me. Does it help our application and should we be making a bifg song and dance about it if it does?

PIP is purely calculated on the ‘descriptors’ and the points given to them.

The mobility rate only has two descriptors, one is planning and following a journey, the other is how far the individual can walk unaided (up to 20m is the highest score)

They take no consideration of EDSS, other than if it also applies to the descriptors that they are working with

I agree with it being paper exercise and ticking boxes.Think the reason I was unsuccessful I walked from side of building round corner to front door as was one way street. Taxi could not drop me out front. Then when I was called I had the furthest room to walk to. I struggled with both. Holding off my parters arms and using my stick. He had to walk me right up to room and nurse had to call him bk to collect me. She could see I was struggling. But I showed them I could walk more than 20 mt even though I was danger to myself. And told her have had few bad falls one of which resulted in me fracturing ankle 3 places. She never took note of this. I have appt with CAB tomorrow. I am optomistic will get decision overyurned

My ex-MS nurse left the NHS to work for ATOS to be part of the assessment panel so at least a few of them are qualified to make a judgement I guess

http://fightback.boards.net/thread/647/michelles-tips-completing-forms-esa/pip

Just come across this site. Thought some of you may find it of interest/helpful.

X