Optimum dose for omega 3, vit D. Try CoQ10?

Any advice on optimum daily dose of omega 3, and vitamin D? Vit D level currently at 56, not bad. Worth trying high dose CoQ10 too? Next MRI in August and keen to try and prevent new lesions or worsening of my fatigue, memory loss, muscle pain and weakness. Am on Tecfidera 3 months so far and awaiting vaccines. Am also going through a challenging menopause and HRT not effective for my mood swings so keen to hear from others in a similar boat. Cannot exercise unfortunately due to lifetime ME/CFS. All energy going on tying to continue my part-time teaching work from home, which I love.

This blog is from the professor of neurology at Barts and worth reading.

Vitamin D supplements: what dose? - by Gavin Giovannoni (substack.com)

I’m impressed that you managed to get your Vitamin D checked. My GP refused, so you win on negotiation skills. :grinning:

No idea on the other supplements. It’s awfully hard to get good information on what works because supplement suppliers aren’t allowed to say what dose does what because they not allowed to make medical claims. Plus the whole supplement business might be lucrative humbug - who knows? The data on benefits aren’t there, and even if they are, it’s illegal to advertise them, so it’s a can of worms at best.

I’m sorry the HRT isn’t helping. Can you try another sort? I’m on bog-standard pills, but there are fancy-pants bio-identical thingies that you might be able to talk your GP into letting you try, given your persuasive skills. :grinning:

You can get enough omega 3 from food sources, although it helps if you eat a couple of portions of oily fish per week.
While good for general health, there is no proof it benefits MS directly.

No benefit for MS symptoms from taking omega 3 fatty acids | MS Trust

Superb article about vitamin D, so helpful: thank you. My neurologist tests my vitamin D level regularly, I didn´t have to ask him, but I live in Spain, the Canaries, so maybe the rules are different here. Thanks also for the advice about Omega 3s not being shown to have effect. I´ve been deficient in the past, maybe in connection to me ME/CFS of 30+ years but never felt better when levels increased.
I am careful with my diet to avoid inflammatory foods and eat plenty of oily fish, olive oil etc. Alison, I’ll see a different gynae end of June and ask about trying another form of HRT though they don´t like patches in this hot climate as they fall off!! Whammel, delighted to join your online support group as well impressed by the vitamin D supplements feature. Just sorry I can´t afford to contribute at the moment as I´m self-employed but working erratically due to current health crappiness…and of course, when I don´t work, I don´t earn.

2 Likes