Numb, numb, numb

I started to feel numb between my legs at the begining of January and it’s now going numb in the top of my right leg and the top of my pubic bone. Is it normal to spread? Not the most pleasant of feelings :-(. I have had similar to this in the past but it was more tingly than numb. Anyone ever had this??

Hi Bambi,

Yes, could be a relapse that has been slow to peak. I tend to find the numbness peaks quite rapidly - have had profound numbness of pubic region, thighs, and both feet before, literally overnight - but then tends to ease off more slowly. However, any pattern is possible. You could have slow onset, fast recovery, or slow onset, slow recovery - any combi.

Tina

Thanks Tina whatever it is I don’t like it xx

Mine was caused by a spinal cord lesion. I think numbness in the pubic region and lower body usually is. It feels numb because sensory signals from the extremities can’t get back to the brain, because of the damage in the way.

Do you usually report your relapses, to get it on record?

Having said that, I’m beginning to think I’ve had one this week, but not bothered to report it. It’s a long time since I’ve had one that was definite enough to be sure. But after several days of general cruddiness, feeling like I’ve been run over, and thinking that’s just the way it is now, I’ve noticed I seem a bit better today. I hadn’t noticed it was so bad until it started to improve. So now I think I must have been having a relapse, and didn’t tell anyone. It doesn’t matter, as I wouldn’t have sought treatment anyway.

I always feel rough in February. I HATE February.

Tina

x

Back Oct I had a relapse which was numbness from the breast bone down to my toes, I was bed ridden and steroids did nothing for me.

I was sent for an MRI scan and it showed 7 new lesions like white spots on the brain and a few down my spine.

I being put on new treatment next month now.

So it may be a good idea to report this to your neuro, rest is the best cure for any sickness etc.

I hope you get well soon x

Thank you Yes I reported it when I went to see my Neuro on Wednesday but it just seems to be moving to different areas of my middle region top of legs, bum, vagina & stomach. They said there was no meds for SPMS :frowning: Suppose I’ll just have to live with it, until it goes which I’m hoping it will. Sue xx

I remember that during my first major relapse after dx I had numbness in my feet and also thighs and pubic region. I had a course of oral steroids which helped and the numbness went after approx 2-3 weeks. I have not had that symptom since.This was about 9 years ago. Hope your symptoms ease soon.

Cathy

Hiya.

Aye! Numbness. Another on the long list. Yes it can spread but it can also thankfully receed after time.

I was hit with this back at the end of May 2011 with the thick ‘dentist’ type down the left side of my boday. This slowly disappeared to leave less ‘fine’ sensation where the numbness had been.

Tina is sooooooo right in that it affect extremities. Being a bloke my ‘extremity’ down there has never been the same since. At the age of 42 as well! Sob! Oh and also my fingers.

But yes you are also right it is something that we just need to carry on with …

Take care,

Marty

It’s pants, thanks for your input glad I’m not alone xx

Sorry Bambi, I forgot/didn’t realise you were SPMS. I don’t think there’s an absolute dividing line, though - the MS doesn’t know what some neuro has called it, so it might perversely still throw in the odd few relapses.

Tina

x

What will be will be but I won’t let it beat me. Thanks xx

I had numbness which started in my torso on one side and spread over the course of a couple of weeks, down my thigh and then my lower leg and toes. It receded (I wasn’t diagnosed at that stage).

It came back and I’ve had a course of IV steroids and am due another next week. It’s improved slightly and is now only my torso and groin area.

It’s being caused by a lesion which may or may not be inflamed (hence the steroids).

I’m hoping it might go away completely again.

Meme I hope it goes away for you too. I had a severe relapse 14 years ago where I was totally numb from the chest down I used to hate showering as it felt like I was been shot at by thousands of pellett guns. Not the nicest of experiences that relapse left the legs heavy & numb but only from the knees down. Hope you get better soon. Sue xx

My numbness started in my toes, and over a few days spread to everything from the waist down, it was horrible. Took a few months to go just below my knees, then the last bit took about a year, still have slight numbness in my feet. Hope you feel a bit better soon, your body does get used to numbness a bit so its not as annoying.

hi bambi,sorry to hear this my relapse started in dec with numb feet which over a period of a week spread slowlly up to my navel, so i know how you feel being numb around the waist and pubic area is the worse ever feeling i was diagnosed 16 years ago and this is my 3rd major relapse and also the longest i have feeling back in the lower legs but not 100 per cent but this top half is driving me mad at the moment and is effecting all areas of my life i like you say it will never beat me but dread waking up in the morning to find it is still there! its nice to communicate with somebody that understands as you get fed up with people say well you look so well ! if only they could get inside my body hope you feel better soon

hi bambi,sorry to hear this my relapse started in dec with numb feet which over a period of a week spread slowlly up to my navel, so i know how you feel being numb around the waist and pubic area is the worse ever feeling i was diagnosed 16 years ago and this is my 3rd major relapse and also the longest i have feeling back in the lower legs but not 100 per cent but this top half is driving me mad at the moment and is effecting all areas of my life i like you say it will never beat me but dread waking up in the morning to find it is still there! its nice to communicate with somebody that understands as you get fed up with people say well you look so well ! if only they could get inside my body hope you feel better soon

Hyatt & amylou I too hope you both feel better soon. I wouldn’t wish this horrible disease on my worst enemy. It’s so nice when you know that others understand what your going through - all in this together eh? Sue x

Hi bambi, I also have numbness at the top of my thighs and groins. I can nip the skin quite hard and although I can feel it, it doesn`t hurt. Weird but just another thing not working right, eh?

luv Pollx

Hi Bambi

I’m so glad you posted this as it has answered the same question for me too.

Just after Xmas the right hand side of my torso , front and back, became numb and over the last few weeks has spread down the front of my thigh to just below my knee taking in just the right side of my groin.

As I am relatively recently dx I was not sure if this was normal for it spread and was quite worried but after reading all the answers to your post I am feeling much more reassured.

Thanks very much.

Ann Marie

Ann Marie Lets just hope it goes soon eh, I started with this 6th Jan and fed up of it now, my bottom is the worst, the joys NOT Sue x