Forum

No more driving until after Neuro appt! Hellllppp....

Hi, after my previous post last week about the 13 week wait for Neuro appointment, I have just been back to doctors this afternoon after having a really bad weekend with chronic tiredness and pain behind my left eye which was worse than ever. I saw a different GP that I have never seen before, he didn’t hesitate to instantly dictate a letter asking neurology to bring my appointment forward to 2-4 week wait. He also checked my eyes and I have very poor peripheral vision in my left eye and have been advised not to drive until I have been seen by neurologist. I only work a mile down the road from my house so could probably cope with that but I’m going away for a week on 23rd August and need my car.

I have stopped driving at the current time.I have had two bumps (minor) in the last 3 weeks in an unblemished 18 years driving history. Coinsidence or linked i dont know!! You forget how dependent we are on our cars. Unfortunate as you are to have been advised to stop driving you may have to take a driver with you if that is feasible. I have had my brother stay over since saturday and he has drove me round when needed.

I am glad that you have gone back to your doctors and got a more favorable result in connection with your neuro appointment. I would get friendly with the neuro secretaries now. Just knowing you have a date and time to ‘look forward to’ takes away some of the frustration.

Yvette

I have stopped driving at the current time.I have had two bumps (minor) in the last 3 weeks in an unblemished 18 years driving history. Coinsidence or linked i dont know!! You forget how dependent we are on our cars. Unfortunate as you are to have been advised to stop driving you may have to take a driver with you if that is feasible. I have had my brother stay over since saturday and he has drove me round when needed.

I am glad that you have gone back to your doctors and got a more favorable result in connection with your neuro appointment. I would get friendly with the neuro secretaries now. Just knowing you have a date and time to ‘look forward to’ takes away some of the frustration.

Yvette

Thanks Yvette, think I am going to have to put my son on my insurance, he only sold his car at the weekend as he couldn’t afford to run it. Win win situation for him. I can’t imagine not having my independence with my car. Been driving for 27 years! I work in a GP surgery, I will see if our medical secretary is on friendly terms with Neuro secretaries and hopefully she will be able to pull a few strings. Fingers crossed x

Hi cassies mum. I suffered with optic neuritis in June (it’s how I or my diagnosis) and had severe lack in my peripheral vision too but was told there were no driving restrictions and my eye sight was blurred too! :confused: xxxxxx

Thank you Princesspinkipie, that’s good to know. I think my GP was just pointing out that if I had an accident and dvla contacted GP for a report they would have to tell them I was being investigated for MS. I will keep driving short distances in daylight, but I struggle in the dark with the headlights and tunnel vision. Jane x

If the gp has advised you not to drive then unfortunately they would normally have written that in their notes which means it will be on your medical file. Although with the dvla you don’t need to inform then until a diagnosis is made should you have any type of accident now unfortunately you would be liable as the gp has advised you not to drive. If you had an accident unfortunately you would be liable- especially if its on record that you have a problem with your peripheral vision. Personally I would take heed of what the doctor says - for your own safety and those of other road users. I think it’s wise to get your son on the insurance and get him to do the driving.

It’s true what they say, it never rains but it pours! Got sent home from work today feeling very dizzy. Went to doctors again today and was told I have vertigo. Thank goodness for my son being off work today and chauffeur me around. Definitely not driving until I get told different. Jane x

Hi Jane,

I think these Drs just say what they like! I had optic neuritis in Feb when I became totally blind in my left eye and had pain every time I moved my head. I went to the walk in opthalmic A and E where I was told to keep going to work and that I could drive! I didn’t want to, but felt that I should keep going to work as he said I could even though I felt so awful. I eventually went to see my GP re high blood pressure that had been detected and she gave me a sick note, and said of course I could be off! I was also very tired at the time. Anyway, after a fortnight my pain had settled and my vision started to come back and I returned to work.

I am now one relapse away from a diagnosis of MS.

Glad your son can drive you around. Although I went back to work after 2 weeks which meant driving, at home I would get my husband to drive and come into shops and other places with me as I felt very unsteady and disorientated.

Hope you get your neuro appt soon and get some answers.

Sally x