New drug for SPMS?

Hello every one. This is only my second post in the last year, and of course I’m only posting because I want something. I have just returned from my regular visit to the neuro. He changed my diagnosis from RRMS to SPMS. I’m actually relieved at that. It’s something I have suspected for some while, and I hope that now my treatment will be amended accordingly. He mentioned an new drug, but I can’t remember the name. All I can remember is that it began with an ‘A’. It isn’t Avonex, or Amiitryptyline. But beyond I haven’t a clue! I have tried googling SPMS A. I got millions of answers. Too many to sift through. (it reminds me of a time when a friend of mine wanted some info on the Norfolk Broads. He googled ‘broads’ and got the name and address of every hooker in New York!) So I was wondering if any of you good people would have any idea. Thank you

Hi Rolley,

I’m not aware of any licensed treatments for SPMS, so I’m unclear whether what you’ve been offered is a disease modifier, or just some kind of symptom relief.

Is it a trial drug, perhaps?

I wonder if anything in this lot (from the MS Trust) looks familiar?

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/drugs.jsp

The only two I can see that begin with ‘A’ (and aren’t those already mentioned) are azathioprine (Imuran) and alemtuzumab (Campath).

Purely a shot in the dark, though. I don’t think either is commonly prescribed, so I’d be surprised if you’ve been offered them, especially for secondary.

Tina

Hi

Did he mean Ampyra also known as Fampyra or Fampridine?

Fampyra is a new drug just coming onto the market which helps with difficulty walking.

Unfortunately there aren’t any drugs to help with the SPMS, itself, or at least I’m not aware of one.

Hope this helps

Many thanks for your replies

I have found it. It isn’t a new DMD after all. It is Ampyra. It is apparently used to help mobility.

I have found it. It isn’t a new DMD after all. It is Ampyra. It is apparently used to help mobility.