Multiple confusing diagnoses

Greetings from USA,
My name is Father Sonny B and I I received my MS (RR) on March 4, 2004…3 months before my ordination to Roman Catholic Priesthood. Since then I have been slowly
and steadily progressing with debilitating pain as well as memory regression. I was also recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. With regard to pain in my left leg (my right leg was amputated high above the knee because a car ran into me), I suffer from diabetic neuropathy. The problem is I can’t always tell whether I’m dealing with diabetic symptoms or MS symptoms. Regarding memory problems, when I try explaining it to others people often say that they suffer from the same thing, thus minimizing my problem. Anyone else deal with multiple diagnoses?

Yes, if you have more than one thing going on and symptomology overlaps it can be very difficult to work out how much may be due to one, and how much due to another. With type 2 diabetes try to keep it managed as well as possible. And are you having any DMTs for your MS?

It can be very annoying when people say they have the same symptoms. At least now, so many have had brainfog and fatigue with Covid that many are now more aware what they feel like. Though I guess some of them who have recovered will then doubt those who haven’t recovered and make out they are malingering or aren’t rying hard enough …

I think some normally empathetic people often are trying to show understanding, rather than minimising it, even if it doesn’t come over that way. It might also be that they don’t notice your memory lapses. It is interesting that people don’t tend to notice memory lapses that occur in younger persons - just put it down to distraction etc, but as you age, suddenly it is seen as all caused by your age! There are some though who try to belittle the effects that health problems have on others. I don’t understand those people, but try to have as little as possible to do with them if they are like that habitually!