MS Personality

I know…as have actually met…loads and loads and loads of people with ms. As we are not naming names I will say, unequivocally, that some of them are right miserable b******. Luckily most of them lock themselves indoors and complain no one talks to them anymore…did anyone ever?

Liz

LOL!!! Isn’t that non-pc, Mrs B!!!

Lolli xx

Hi all,

Agree with yous about the intellegency thingy.

At the moment i am waching a rerun of dads army.

That must be that am the weakest link,but dont care i am still laughing at it

TTFn.

Chris.

-Tell ya, we all stepped in the wrong puddle, intelligent or not! Now why did my mother only buy wellies with oles in the toes?

bren (:0) - luv the conversation (am I a mouth breather?)

xxx

Perhaps we have burnt our brains out with all that intelligent thinking

Years ago I read a book written by a Dr with MS. He suggested that people with MS tended to have personality type A.

Then this study suggest people with MS may be bigger risk takers.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/98/12/895.full

Jacqui x

My post above made me go and find out the book I read.

Multiple Sclerosis: A Personal Exploration by Alexander Burnfield.

Hello All,

Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I will (Jaqui) have to scan the Dr. Burnfield book better; I have only been put off this because the print is so small. I will look into the web site to see if I can glean any more evidence of we superior people with MS being perfect citizens! - I wouldn’t try half so much if this was a negative posibility!!

Best Wishes,

Moira

Good debate going here. Something that I wondered about when looking into CCVI was I thought that I always spent too much time thinking, I call it living in my head which may explain a link with intelligence. Perhaps it has led to us all having too much oygen/blood in our brains!. Just a thought, time for me to get “grounded again”. Peter

Another thought - my mum had MS, so do I - we are both the eldest siblings, I have found this to be common to quite a few pwMS that I have spoken to - does this have something to do with it? It certainly affects personality - does the “older sibling personality” predispose you to develop MS?

Luisa x

I really can’t persuade myself there’s anything in this one. Although I’ve seen similar posts before, I don’t think there’s an “MS personality type”, and I feel it’s only a short step from that to saying we all brought it on ourselves in some way (through failing to conquer “MS traits”) - which I’m absolutely confident we didn’t! Though I don’t believe in astrology at all, I’d actually find it more credible if the suggestion was that MS was linked to star signs, because some studies HAVE shown a link between MS prevalence, and month of birth. In the Northern hemisphere, May is associated with the highest risk. This might be because a May birth is indicative of a Winter pregnancy - the time when an expectant mother could produce least vitamin D. In Australia and New Zealand, I believe the corresponding peak is the equivalent “Spring” month of November - again, when the pregnancy has run through the darkest months. So I think all this has much more influence than personality. Unless you believe people born in certain seasons all share a common basic personality? Finally, around 40 or 50 genes have already been identified as contributing to the lifetime risk of MS. As far as I know, none of these have been conclusively linked to any specific personality trait, but several are known to be implicated in immune system function, and at least one has something to do with vitamin D. So if there’s an “MS type” at all, it’s more likely to be a biological type - the way the body handles certain functions - than a psychological one. Tina

OK, OK, think of the most average person you know - and now think that 50% of the population are thicker than that!

But seriously, folks, I have met a wide range of people with MS - and they are all different.

It is an (at times) unfortunate human tendency to put labels on people. It can sound all formal and/or scientific (Type A, IC1 male, etc), or it can be informal (hoodie, teenager, etc), but it does save on a lot of description when we talk to one-another.

Half the trouble with MS is that the general public do not know what MS is, or anything at all about it. The label of MS is therefore meaningless to more than half the population (there is another thread on this elsewhere on this forum).

We all know (and we are part of the general public here) that “Cancer” is bad, and it kills people. We (those of us with MS excepted, here) do not know what it is like to have MS (even though we might know someone who has it).

Geoff