Misbehaving

A very informative read. Thanks Whammel.

I read this initially as ‘Prof G was incontinent last week on the train’!!! Then went back and realised there was a comma and the word ‘I’ after ‘Prof G’!!!

A good resource. Thanks Whammel.

Stupid Sue.

1 Like

Well, the 4mg of Toviaz isn’t much help. I’ve been getting through 5 changes if pull ups yesterday and today. I have absolutely no control over my bladder now. Once I stand up intending to go to the loo, I manage to get as far as the toilet door and my bladder lets go,sometimes not even that far. I only have to stand up. I’m absolutely miserable today.

I wore pull ups in bed last night for the first time. I was so afraid of flooding our (new) bed. I could hardly believe how things have changed in a short time! Got up in the night, all normal. No problem when I got up to shower and no problems all day. What was going on yesterday?! Having Googled the reviews of Toviaz, it appears it didn’t help a lot of people, in fact it actually worsened things for them. I decided not to take it this morning. The whole day has been fine for me. I honestly can’t believe it. Is it that the drug relaxed my bladder too much or is it just no good for me? Was my bladder just spasaming which caused the trouble to begin with? Either way, I’m ecstatic today to be in control again. Hoping I don’t jinx things now.

You know Poppy, I think you could do with a referral to a urologist and a urodynamics test.

This would show exactly what is going on in your bladder.

I just looked up Toviaz and it’s an anti-spasmodic, it relaxes the bladder muscles. So if you are having bladder spasms leading to an incontinence, the Toviaz would work. But if you’re not having bladder spasms, then it would be likely to make your problem worse, not better. Ie, by the action of making your muscles weaker.

I’m glad you had a better day today (did you already come to this same conclusion?)

Sue

Yep Sue, I intend to chat to my gp before we go away in two weeks. Hopefully she can do a referral to urology for me.

Hi sorry to jump in but I’ve had some serious bladder issues

I was prescribed solifenacin which was pretty helpful especially at night reducing my visits down from 7+ to 0-2 downside was a horrible dry mouth side effect which did eventually improve.

However daytime accidents were still a problem. I had to see a urologist due to a suspected cancer (thankfully benign)and on discussing my bladder problems afterwards he prescribed me Mirabegron … early days but I seem to be able to hold on longer. Occasional little leaks but not “whoosh, no stopping it”

Get a referral, you need to know if it’s a storage (usually meds) or retention problem (self catheterisation) and get advice on the best treatment.

Solifenacin does have the best efficacy but is a little more expensive hence not usually first line.

Mirabegron works in a different way and those delightful nice guidelines only say to give it if others have failed …

Good luck sorting it, we need to be able to have a life not be terrified of going out…

Thank you. I’ve stopped the Toviaz since Friday and no more disasters. There’s a little reluctance to pee at all now, so I will ask for a referral.

I’m sure you’ve tried everything to pee easier but the main thing I forget when reluctance is the issue is to relax and breathe out long and slow.

The initial reaction is to panic or strain. Instead, relax, bend slightly forward, breathe in through the nose and then blow out slowly through your mouth for as long as you can and repeat as many times as necessary.

Good luck getting your referral.

1 Like

Had an interesting chat on the phone with the gp practice nurse this morning. I called to get my recent blood test results and asked about the results of the urine sample sent in about 10 days ago. Turns out I do indeed have a UTI and a script was left in reception for collection. Nobody thought to phone me and let me know. Unusual for my gp. She’s usually on the ball. However, I’m always saying we should take responsibility for our own health. I should have followed up the sample with a phone call myself. Today I started a 6 day course of antibiotics. I’m certain this will sort my recent and sudden bladder issues out. I stopped the bladder relaxant,Toviaz,immediately after my day of total incontinence. That solved that problem! I’ve just had the hesitancy and retention problem left. Hopefully all will be cleared as we fly out to gran canaria Friday.

Hope it clears it up quickly now and you have a wonderful holiday.

1 Like

Amazing. Yes, we should follow up with our GPs, but honestly they should have contacted you!

Hopefully you’ll have had a few days of the antiB before the flight to Gran Canaria and be completely better very soon.

Happy Holidays!

Sue x

1 Like