Just been refused a council tax reduction

I think it all depends who you speak to. This applies to all departments. There are decent and knowledgeable people out there, it’s just finding them.

If you have to have an extra room in your house because of your disability then you can also qualify for the disabled discount from the Council Tax (ie dropping a band). The most usual examples are needing a separate room for kidney dialysis, separate sleeping rooms for husband and wife (or partners, but it has to be due to a disability - not just snoring!), separate rooms for children because of health needs, or building a downstairs bathroom because of disability. So for example, putting in a downstairs loo because of bladder or bowel urgency and having trouble with stairs, should qualify you for the discount.

Being a wheelchair user only qualifies you if you have to use a wheelchair inside the house because of inability to walk. Unless you have a stairlift, if you are able to walk up stairs, you may not qualify on the grounds of wheelchair use. But it may depend on the Councils policy.

Sue

1 Like

Thanks Sue. They’re sending out an application pack but apparently it also depends on the converted rooms original purpose too ??!! In our case, it was the garage.

I had a response from the disability law solicitor that anonymous above posted.

A solicitor there is being really helpful.

I will keep you posted.

I used to get them regularly but not now. Now they come but probably once every couple of months and not biggies like I used to have.

I am certain Avonex caused them and when I came off Avonex it all settled down to occasional little ones rather than frequent massive ones.

Filled in the form online on Friday. I received an email today confirming the reduction. No phone call to check anything at all! I did put on the form that Wheelchair Services had supplied the chair so that must have been enough. It will save me £200 a year!

Very happy!

Sarah

1 Like

So am I. I had a brief visit from a council officer, but it was really just to check that I was telling the truth! Every year they ask us to verify that I’m still entitled (ie I’ve not miraculously been cured!) but it’s even better for you! Are the council likely to backdate the discount at all? Maybe you could write and ask them? Worth a try anyway!

I’m so pleased that you got it, and so easily. Why local authorities don’t publicise it better I don’t know!

Sue

They’ve applied it to the whole year! I had to put on the form when I wanted it to be paid from. I put that I was assessed by Wheelchair Services in March but had been referred for a power chair in January.

It’s actually a bit weird due to the fact that we’ve been overpaying all year. They’ve reduced our payments from £164 a month to £42 for Dec and Jan. We’ll take to it badly when we start having to the new proper (albeit lower) cost in April!

They have sent an amended bill out for last year as well which says that there is a £38 discount for then but doesn’t actually say I’ll be refunded. Who knows? It might just turn up in my bank account!

Thanks again for the info!

Sarah