Help please ?

I am due to have a head mri this week, as the appointment approaches, i am getting more emotional, my anxiety regarding the mri is so high. The doctor has suggested, to ask for a open mri, if my anxiety is that bad. But i believe the images are not good, for monitering ms, also i don’t know if the neurologist will send me for one. The doctor has prescribed a small dose of clonazepam, to try and help with mri. I am already on clonazepam,.for tremors and have been for years. My emotions, are all over the place, if i can’t get in the mri, due to this high anxiety, will there be something wrong, that will be missed. I am having a yearly review, as on tecfidera. I really am worried, as all i am doing is getting upset. Even the thought of having a head mri, is making me not sleep etc.
So i cant imagine how i will be on the day. Its the head piece, i dont like, i feel trapped. I just wondered as well how do people with ms, that cant have mri’s get monitered ? Please if anyone can help??? I have RRMS, been diagnosed since 2010.

1 Like

Oh my dear, that sounds horrid. I’m not bothered by MRIs as long as I keep eyes firmly shut for the duration, but I do know only too well that cycle of starting with a small worry and then spiralling into catastrophe-thinking about the consequences of worrying… and so it goes on.

Just take all the help that’s offered and do your best - that’s all anyone can ever do. Good luck.

Hi there,
I’ve had countless MRI & CT scans, and honestly theres nothing at all to worry about.
Yes it’s a bit noisy but nothing that is unbearable.

I actually find it all relaxing, the humming noise and laying there can send me into noddy land.

My sister also has MS (and my cousin), we all have MRI’s on a fairly regular basis, like you my sister is a bit apprehensive each time, but every time it’s all done she cant believe why she worries.

The last one I had a few months ago was a brain scan, they put a visor type thing over your head but again I just close my eyes get comfy and I’m away with the fairies.

My biggest worry sometimes is wanting to pee halfway through, so I make sure I go to the loo just before I go in.

You’ll be fine honest :+1:

PS.
Never turn down any type of scan, they can be difficult to get, if I’m offered one I jump at it.

1 Like

Hi

Did you get it done in the end?

Dan

Hi he funk,
I did thankyou.

Hi @ncm123 well done! :hugs: My mum really struggles with anxiety, so I can appreciate how difficult it can be. Not the nicest experience. I had my first brain and spine MRIs last year. I was concerned about feeling claustrophobic but meditation helped me through it - focusing on my breath. The spine MRI seemed to go on forever! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say they are easy to deal with, it is like being inside a tumble dryer wih tennis balls…thankfully they dont last too long. I had some over 10 years ago and the MRI attendant was pretty rude, I am glad I never had to go back …

What was the anxiety like - was there anything in particular that helped? I just close my eyes, and hope the music on the CD I gave them to play goes in time with the clunking of the scanner :slight_smile: . (The music needs to be something high energy - calm music just gets drowned out)

Next time, you may find it helpful to picture yourself in the scanner, but from the perspective of someone in the room, seeing you simply lying there, free to come out of the scanner whenever you want. And ask yourself exactly what it is you’re afraid of - what does the anxiety think could happen. The reason we’re afraid of the dark is because we don’t know what’s there. But identifying and naming the fear is like switching on the light, and now it’s not this big unknown. We can see if it’s a reasonable fear or not (and usually it isn’t), and come up with plans for what to do in different scenarios if needed.

Hope that helps
Dan

1 Like