Health anxiety and MS

I think the OP has severe mental health problems. If Matrix was able to understand and have empathy for those with serious diseases like MS, then she/he would never have posted in such an insensitive manner.

Lack of empathy (total self-obsession) goes with depression/anxiety.

Either that, or Matrix is a troll.

BeccaK, you may have MS - after all you have real symptoms and you are rightly anxious. MS can affect almost anything - including your sense of what is real and what is imagined.

I had a bit of a read around the internet and read the article in the Guardian about HA. There seems to be two types - HA based on fear of exacerbating a diagnosed illness (most of us with MS get this) and the classic ‘hypochondria’ where all someone needs to do is to mention a symptom and the HA person will believe that they have it.

I had an MRI this spring and my neuro told me that a splodge on the scan showed that I’d had a stroke. I was terrified for about a week and went to see my GP and there was no mention of a stroke in the report - it was a fault. I had HA - but based on a real threat. I had a a new lesion, but this was expected, after all I’ve had MS for a long time.

Thank you for saying that I come across as a nice person, I appreciate that. I do try my best, but sometimes I do struggle with how I word things, so if ever anything I would say came across as offensive then I apologise in advance as it would never ever be meant in that way it would just be my brain not engaging as it should do.

I didn’t realise that MS could affect your sense of what is real & what is imagined also, that could maybe explain why I feel like I do as I feel like i’m in a constant fog & can’t think properly & someone can be talking to me and I can’t think what it is that i’m supposed to be saying back to them, its almost at times as if my brain can’t send the message to my mouth to move if that makes sense ? My head feels so full & fuzzy & sometimes numb to touch, i’m sure i could stick a pin in and wouldn’t feel it ?

I’m on an anxiety forum as well and i made a post there about potentially having MS & i got jumped on by one lady telling me i hadn’t had a diagnosis and the fact the neuro thinks it may well be MS isn’t good enough sort of thing, yes I appreciate that I need a diagnosis from the tests the hospital are doing but my physical symptoms obviously made him feel that it was a strong possibility or he wouldn’t have even mentioned it surely ?

I guess only time will tell, sending lots of happy vibes & good day vibes to people xx

If you have a scan that leads the neurologist to believe (initially and mistakenly) that you have had a stroke, and you are terrified by this, that is not Health Anxiety: that is perfectly rational response to stimulus. If the scan is completely clear, however, and the doctors say, ‘Good news, lapreguiceira, you have definitely not had a stroke,’ but you remain irrationally convinced, despite all the evidence, that you have had a stroke, that might well be Health Anxiety!

Alison

x

Hello again,

I’ve been away from the computers for a few day, but I see that my question was grossly misunderstood.

First of all, I wannt to apologise if someone felt offended by my question. However it was a geniune question from someone that suffers from HA and possibly may have MS. In no way was I implying that MS is not bad or anything similar. As I said it was a impressions that I got by visiting both forums of MS and HA. Even in my question I suggested that probably it was a wrong impression. English is not my native language, so probably the wording wasn’t the best, but the intention was by no means a bad one.

As a last note, I feel that some of the reactions here are a bit over the top. Calling someone that suffers from a condition such as HA (and possibly MS or other neruological disease) a troll or worse is not nice. Mine was just a question and as they say “There are no stupid questions”.

Matrix,

Having gone back and read your first post on these Boards from 15 August

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/new-diagnosis-and-diagnosis/some-questions-about-symptoms-and-possible-ms

I would have to say that the symptoms you describe don’t really sound like MS but are far more likely to be due to your hypochondria as you say. And therefore I repeat that you would be better off seeing a good psychologist and getting some decent counselling. And getting support from the HA Boards rather than the MS Boards.

I still find it offensive that you imply that MS is not “bad” and I don’t buy your argument that it is due to your poor grasp of English. Your English is excellent in your first post on these Boards. Odd that it should deteriorate so much when you need that as a defense.

Now since you DON’T have MS, aren’t under investigation for MS and actually have NOTHING to do with the MS community may I politely request that you stop posting here until you have a legitimate reason to do so?

Belinda

Belinda,

I didn’t imply anything. I just asked a question and I stand by that. I didn’t use the “english language” as a argument. I stated that it’s not my native language and MAYBE the wording was not the best. But my question is legimitate and by no means offensive, although it’s a subjective question.

So although I’m sorry that it sounded offensive to you, that was not the intention, while you calling me a troll it’s offensive and intended.

I certainly hope that I don’t have MS, but I’m seeing a neuro and will get a MRI so I have reasons to doubt MS.

Matrix I feel sickened by your posts,

I have read through all these comments, I am yet to be diagnosed for my problems and I come on hear to speak to people so I do not worry my wife who does suffer from anxiety. Do I have MS I dont know yet, can I walk, not very well anymore I am 26. does it effect lifes is it that bad of course it is and of course it does. Its not what we do that makes us who we are its how we do it and how we adapt and we change.

. people on hear all try to be possitive for one another to help us through regardless and if the above is true you are abusing the kind people and taking advantage to fulfil you HA needs.

If you suffer from hypochondria, then having an MRI will please you, lets hope they find nothing as I wouldnt wish an LP on anyone.

I wish you well and hope not to see a post from you again

i feel my last comment may have been a bit hardh, I understand Hypochondria can be a real issue,

However I am having a bad day today and really looking at beccak as inspiration I have not seen no posts like yours from her.

But I also understand it is a cry for attention, normally if someone in your family was sick when you were younger and you were not provided the love you need.

Go see someone that can help you phycologicly, counciling is good.

Although, I feel that I have done nothing wrong and I put forward a honest question, I don’t wannt to cause unnecessary trouble. So even though it’s up to the mods to decide if I did something wrong and that my own opinion is that I wasn’t treated fairly, there’s no point having an argument and I wont be posting anymore.

As a last note hypochnodria is a real issue even though there’s no organic problem. Symptoms are very real and mimic many of MS symptoms, so it is legimitate to suspect MS.

I wish you all the best

hi…i dont have a ms dx, i had HA after suffering a severe allergic reaction which was closely followed by a very nasty infection,which seemed to trigger other allergic reactions and had me either sitting in the drs surgery or dialling 999 all the time …very embarrassing, very painfull(infection wise) and very frightening…especially as i lived alone. After i got the all clear from the allergy clinic that i do not in fact have any allergies ,phew…i felt less scared so the HA went away…but in my case …there was a real illness that triggered the HA., it wasnt something i imagined i had. It took me over a year and a half to fully recover,after suffering further allergic like attacks and a whole host of other symptoms,numbness,pins and needles,pain,difficulty walking ,balance problems etc but im doing better now…thats the important thing:)

…Also i had a few months when i suffered sudden attacks of exhaustion and felt very anxious and severly affected my ability to do a lot of things,like walk…HA?

OK Matrix, you’re not a troll.

However your question demonstrates not a lack of fluency in the English language but a total lack of any understanding of the effect it would have on the people with MS on this forum

It is a valid question but this is not the place to ask it. There are no stupid questions but there are stupid places/times to ask them.