Grenfell Tower

Poor Shirley now has a hotel room for two weeks, with dog. The public must have phoned in.

Cladding fire tests failed by 27 high-rise blocks - so more hotel guests will be on their way.

How awful!

Life is so cheap.

It is NOT illegal to use these materials though. People should get their facts straight. If cladding is used over 18mtrs it should be protected with a less inflammable material.

Its funny no one is moaning about CAMDEN council which has been Labour run for a long time, yet their flats were soooo bad the fire inspectors told them to get all the tenants out.

There were missing fire doors, holes in ceilings comprimising fire regulations, SAME cladding as Grenfall, gas pipes in stairwells with no lagging, doors with ply wood which breaches all fire regulations the list was quite lengthy and it was so bad the inspectors wanted the tenants OUT. Its going to take MONTHS to sort the internal issues out.

So where were all the activists going on about neglect by government…i coudl go on but i wont i dont follow links from newspapers who just make up their agendas.

It is not illegal…to use this cladding the trouble lies in the building regulations not being clear enough as to what should be used and what shouldnt be used.

Camden council had breached a lot of FIRE REGULATIONS which is different.

2 Likes

Bless her, but sadly there was so much wrong inside these flats i would expect them to be out for weeks.

IF IT WAS just a cladding issues, they could have easily taken the cladding off without tenants leaving. The issue was the block contravened so many fire regulations they were forced out for their own safety.

anyone can put up links. The residents at camden have been complaining FIVE YEARS about fire safety…after the 2012 fire.

Camden has been labour seven years.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/camden-tower-blocks-fire-safety-concerns-unheard-for-years-say-residents-1-5068278

1 Like

Yet another newspaper report, but one with a strong accusation.

“John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has claimed that the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire were “murdered by political decisions”, saying politicians’ decisions over recent decades were important factors in the deaths of 79 people in the tower block in north Kensington, London”.

1 Like

And it gets worse:

“Officials confirm 60 high-rise buildings in 25 different areas of England have failed tests being carried out on hundreds of buildings”

I think this was due to the Green Deal policy which was all about climate change and energy.

They stress that the insulation is worse than the cladding.

So is loft insulation a fire hazard too?

Should I remove it?

Who will take it away?

Have people made their homes a fire hazard with loft insulation I wonder?

Many questions.

Awful.

Fay

In theory cavity wall insulation could be implicated as well, an awful lot of homes across Britain have that also. Tracey

Thanks for this Whammel, interesting article; we do need to know the truth about what happened; was it lead by economics? don’t understand why they couldn’t have paid a little bit extra for the fire retardant cladding.

Anyway police are taking this seriously and have even mentioned possible manslaughter charges.

1 Like

Oh dear!

Some else has been “relocated”.

Tory councillor who managed Grenfell Tower refurbishment 'flees luxury £1.2m home after threats.

“Mr Feilding-Mellen is the son of the Earl and Countess of Wemyss and March”. His family have a 5,000-acre stately home in Gloucestershire.

So somewhere to go. Not like poor Shirley. He won’t be on an inflatable in the Swiss Centre with 200 others.

Fay

Truthfully, I think most houses are pretty flammable, with or without loft insulation. Make sure you have a working fire alarm, near or in the kitchen. Also, you might think of having a folding ladder upstairs - we’ve had one for years, though I think I’d have trouble getting down it now. With these simple steps, you can be safe-ish.

Low rise buildings are very different from high rise, when it comes to fire risk. The government knew that for absolute certain after the report in 2000. The government chose not to change fire regulations at that point. The local authorities with tenants in unsafe buildings still had a duty of care to those tenants, which the local authorities did not fulfil. I’d say the building companies that put up flammable cladding failed duty of care tests too. Lots of blame to go around - it will be interesting to see if it lands anywhere.

1 Like