General election 8 June 2017

and a partridge in a pear tree…

empty words, they can say what they like, but will they do it all i doubt it, by the time they have made us broke with renationalisation there wont be any money left for empty promises. I am wary of all these things, as there are PLEDGES and there are maybes, and i expect most of these are maybes lol.

WHERE will all the money come from? I am not interested in empty promises, its easy to say what they will do, its actually doing it.

I bet if they get in and we went back in five years on this post the true reality is very little will have been done which has been promised.

3 Likes

Why call Teresa May a witch, at least she is trying to do a job which was thrust on her.

Corbyn for me is way to leftie, i dont want to go back to the late sixties thanks.

One of his quotes:

“Are super-rich people actually happy with being super-rich? I would want the super rich to pay properly their share of the needs of the rest of the community,”

Why should people who work hard to get where they are prop up the rest of the country, it makes me mad. With Labour it doesnt and has never paid to work, but finally people are working and the country’s unemployment is going down and down, which shows a strong economy.

He will just bring us back to a time which i would rather forget, where activists roamed the earth, and unions were the boss of the country.

I dont dislike him personally I dont know him, he has some good ideas, but he has ideas which scare the hell out of me.

I dont think May is a witch, i think she is a very clever women and proved that by calling an election, she didnt have to do that, did she. She said SHUT UP OR PUT UP.

They are both ok, but i am determined not to go back to a time that still haunts me. No thanks.

3 Likes

THE FOUR BIG MYTHS OF UK RAIL PRIVATISATION

http://actionforrail.org/the-four-big-myths-of-uk-rail-privatisation/

Regards

Fay

1 Like

End May in June

BBC bias against Labour isn’t working.

See how the gap is closing.

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (-1)

LAB: 38% (+3)

LDEM: 10% (+1)

UKIP: 4% (+1)

(via @YouGov / 24 - 25 May)

Most of the “myths” in that 2-year old article could also be said about the nationalisation of the railways in 1948.

That was probably the first example of the incompetence of a Labour government when it came to financial matters.
At that time, only one of the big four railway companies were making a profit, and if they had waited a year, they could have got the other three when they went bust.
The one that was profitable was the Southern railway, which operated electric commuter lines into London.

If the rest of the network had been electrified at that time, there would not have been a good case for the privatisations of the mid '90s. If the Government of the day (and its successors) had brokered a merger between the three rail unions, we would not have had a railway network suffering from demarcation disputes.

Geoff

Teresa May did not have her job “thrust” upon her, she campaigned quite vigorously for it!

5 Likes

Funny, I see the BBC as being liberal twats.

Shit Crazy Chick, you’d better borrow my tin hat…

2 Likes

I just do not know what to think.

I was saddened when Brexit won! I said to my husband that the next thing will be Trump as president ! and his reply was “The world can not be that stupid”.

I do not like the Tories and I do not like Labour either or UKKIP. The Lib Dems I believe talk sense but will never feature. My kids want to vote Labour to have no university fees - little do they know that it was Labour that brought them in in the first place. My eldest daughter just graduated as a pharmacist and is working in the NHS and has a loan of £36,000 to pay off which was taken out just to pay her tuition fees. She will be annoyed if people who start this year will have no loans as when she started it was the first year when then charged £9,000 per year.

2 Likes

Back in 1979 (the election that put Thatcher into power) I was part of the committee that ran an independent against a particularly unlovely Tory in a very safe seat. Our man got the largest vote of any independent in that election.
Of the people who originally joined the committee, two dropped out after a short while.
One thought our guy was too left wing.
One thought our guy was too right wing.

Go Figure!

Geoff

The thing is, that manifesto promises are just that - as Donald Trump is finding out, it’s really difficult, unless you have a huge majority, to get any legislation passed - and the next government can overturn it anyway, as Parliament cannot bind itself, i.e. it can’t pass a law which all future Parliaments have to obey - like the one that was passed making every Parliament last five years, which has been overturned by this government.

So instead of being hung up on a specific manifesto pledge (such as railway nationalisation to use a Labour one, and free school breakfasts to use a Conservative one, and I’ve just used ones that come to mind there, no agenda involved), it’s probably better to judge the party on the overall theme of their pledges, rather than specifics - which just makes it a lot more difficult, I think.

Politics!

Don’t get me involved; I’ve got enough problems of my own!

1 Like

I’m stuffed in my ward, we’ve only got 3 candidates, traditionally Tory here, labour won in 97, Tory again in 2010 the back to labour 2 years ago, however only about 500 votes difference between the two. So I’ve got to choose between a monster who’ll probably win, an idiot who I don’t often agree with or a chocolate fire guard who’s got nothing on offer.

I’d vote none of the above if I could.

But if you don’t vote you can’t moan!

Earlier in this thread, Jo posted two threads that are relevant to this exact subject:

and

http://www.progressivealliance.org.uk/about

I had been thinking ‘oh what’s the point, I live in a safe Tory seat’, but then thought, actually it’s better to vote none of the above than nothing.

Sue

Carole, I agree with you that personal nastiness has no valid place in political discourse. I am not sure which which Corbyn-off-slagging posts you have in mind (I haven’t spotted many on here TBH) but your comment seems strangely at odds with your own statement:

‘Teresa May looks like a witch, acts like a witch, burn the witch i say!’

I assume that what you actually object to is people being nasty about your preferred candidate?

Alison

1 Like

The incidence of MS in the north - Scotland, Northern Ireland - is (I think) a bit higher than the UK average (because, we guess, growing children up there get less protective Vitamin D from sunshine at the age when it matters). You do not get many Conservative seats to the pound in either of those places!

As far as I am aware, MS is generally pretty much blind to class/wealth/education/political affiliation etc but if anyone knows otherwise I too would be interested to hear of it.

Alison

Nah dont need it lol, i have no feeling in my head or my brain lol.

1 Like

Just to entertain, here’s a summary of what the pollsters think is going to happen:

Summary: Five Sunday polls published 11 days before the election

ComRes: Con 46%, Lab 34%. Tory lead falls from 18 to 12 points

Opinium: Con 45%, Lab 33%. Tory lead falls from 19 to 10 points

ORB: Con 44%, Lab 38%. Tory lead falls from 12 to 6 points

YouGov: Con 43%, Lab 36%. Tory lead rises from 5 to 7 points

ICM: Con 46%, Lab 32%. Tory lead unchanged at 14 points

So that’s clear then.

It’s very interesting listening to everyone’s opinion. I have voted for all 3 in the past but as there is nothing that focuses on MS I need to look a what else is most important. Re MS I am happy with the government and their research. Years ago Labour were cutting funding for MS I was told at my London hospital so this is still very much in my mind. To be honest they are all as bad as each other. However my main concern is Brexit (it has happened- many need to get over it) and this will if not dealt with correctly have a massive impact on everything else. Policies will change if we don’t get a good deal. So ask yourself it’s not a popularity contest who do you trust to get the best deal for Britain, May or Corbyn?

2 Likes

Can’t see the EU taking Corbyn seriously. Turncoat May looks professional, Corbyn looks like a scarecrow. Dont trust either of them