Frightening symptom

In the last year I have developed a frightening symptom, its a spasm in my lower throat just like cramp. Its painful enough to stop me in my tracks and probably only last a few seconds even though it seems minutes.It seems to come in threes one straight after the other. I also get it in my jaw/side of the face and its agony.

I just wondered if anyone else got this or if it has nothing to do with ms. The only other reason I can think of is that I had my throid removed 3 yrs ago but the spasm is not in the same place. I am going to see my ms nurse on 25th so I will ask her but your experiences are important to me.

Suex

Hi,

It could be glossopharyngeal neuralgia, which is a variation of trigeminal neuralgia. It is caused by the inflammation of one of the cranial nerves and can cause severe pain shooting down into the throat/tonsil region, up into the ear and down the side of the jaw. I also get it blasting into the base of my tongue.

If this is the problem carbamazepine is usually the first drug of choice. Definitely speak to your MS Nurse but also get dental stuff checked out and ear/nose and throat checked out too.

Luckily this pain doesn’t last forever but comes in bouts and once it settles you may not have a recurrence for months or years. I hope you can get it sorted soon.

Belinda

Hi Sue

I too get throat spasms its like it just locks up and its seems to be for about a minute but its probably seconds too but it is frightening. I told my doctor and he put me on a muscle relaxant Bacolfen. Unfortunately this affected all my muscles and I kept falling and even though I reduced the dosage it didn’t help my throat problem and made my legs much worse so I came off it. Mine seems to come in fits and starts sometimes its not there and at other times its a real problem. I’ve had it for a number of years and it hurts when it happens and is frightening but like everything else with MS - I’m putting up with it. But I would be interested to hear if you get anything to help.

Love, Mary

[quote=“theorising”]

Hi Sue

I too get throat spasms its like it just locks up and its seems to be for about a minute but its probably seconds too but it is frightening. I told my doctor and he put me on a muscle relaxant Bacolfen. Unfortunately this affected all my muscles and I kept falling and even though I reduced the dosage it didn’t help my throat problem and made my legs much worse so I came off it. Mine seems to come in fits and starts sometimes its not there and at other times its a real problem. I’ve had it for a number of years and it hurts when it happens and is frightening but like everything else with MS - I’m putting up with it. But I would be interested to hear if you get anything to help.

Love, Mary

[/quote] hi Mary, yes its really scary isn’t it. The pain is so intense but for a short length of time, yes we put up with it and when its , over you think thankgoodness, but it scares me everytime, its almost like my whole throat is going into spasm and I am not going to be able to breath or I am going to choke,. I try to keep calm and it goes away but it certainly is scary. if you have the same thing then it probably is ms. do you feel like your tonsils and side of your face and throat are going into spasms? please Pm me because judging from the response i have had from this thread this seems to be an isolated thing

suex

Sorry Sue I have suffered with this but I didn’t join in as I am not diagnosed yet.

However given that my thyroid has been checked and no problems there, I definitely attribute this to MS.

My other issue that started at the same time is face pain as Belinda mentioned and aching jaw and choking (inhaling) food when eating … I find that worse than the throat contraction.

I’ve had an MRI done to see what’s happening so I will let you know the outcome in October.

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

I am pleased you did join in, diagnosed or not, the pain is very real for us all.

Keep positive about your MRI outcome

Suex