Foot drop

Does it get better? Yes, with a bit of luck, like any other sort of RRMS relapse.

I have had relapses where it just seemed impossible that things would every improve - you always think this is the one that is here to stay, don’t you? - but they always have got better. Not completely better admittedly (my MS has always been aggressive but many people - you included, I hope - are luckier) but better all the same. Take heart, and try to be patient as your body tries to heal.

Good luck.

Alison

Hi, does anyone have foot drop with knee flexion issues too? FES has never been recommended to me by the physio.

Moyna xxx

Yes, Moyna.
With left foot drop, I can raise my left knee toward my chin exactly once - the foot comes clear of the ground by about a foot and the knee flexes. The second attempt will have only the tiniest bit of knee flex, and the heel rises about two inches.

The neuro-physio I saw last year suggested that “maybe” this was very rapid muscle fatigue. She said that an FES could be used to stimulate knee flexion, and to ask the next time I was at Odstock. The FES people tried it - I could get knee flexion just like normal, but at the expense of the dropped foot. On the timed walk, the old way was best.

The thing that was suggested - but not put in writing - was that the FES could be used to train the knee to flex again, but it was unlikely that the PCT would fund one for this purpose. Certainly, an FES could return normal hand/arm function to a friend, but the PCT rejected his request for funding.

A physio or a neuro can refer you to your nearest FES Centre, but the money has to be there …

Geoff

Hi Lilly

I had a neuro review in August following 2 relapses this year one affecting each leg (greedy of me, I know). When I described my symptom of my left foot slapping the floor and scuffing it sometimes he said it sounded as if I had had foot drop.

However, as I didn’t ever seem to get any nearer to the top of the physio list, I began to do basic yoga stretches every morning and evening for 10 minutes, stretching my legs and feet, and my legs are now functioning much better. I do still occasionally scuff the ground but if I concentrate on walking and not looking around or talking at the same time I can walk fairly normally for a good half an hour before my legs and feet tire.

Like some others, I did despair of seeing any progress but I have recently attended two full yoga sessions and although I have to adapt some of the movements and take great care, I have been surprised at how far I have come since March this year.

Don’t give up Lilly, with hard work, patience and perseverance (and good luck, of course), there is hope for you. While you are still RRMS there is always the chance of remission. I’m 48 and I’m not going down without a fight!

Best wishes

Tracey