First MS nurse appointment and DMTs

I was diagnosed in January although I have been having relapses for over 2 years now. I have my first MS nurse appointment next week and my neurologist had said that I should be put on DMTs.

I have been doing a lot of research into the different options and I think I know which I prefer if I get a choice. How long is it typical to wait to start treatment after it has been decided?

I am really frustrated because I have waited so long to get to this point and my GP thinks that my symptoms show signs of my condition worsening but can’t do anything until I start my DMT which is making me panic even more. I am currently experiencing constant dizziness, blurred vision amongst a huge amount of other daily symptoms.

Any advice would be much appreciated on how everyone else manages daily life before treatment or during a relapse?

Thank you,

Leanne

hi leanne

this is your chance to fight back against ms.

your ms nurse will be a major player in your life now so i hope you get on well.

your nurse will have to run it past NICE and once agreed the meds will take about 8-12 weeks.

this is because they have to be delivered to your home and the delivery company need employing.

really it passes quite quickly.

you will manage daily life better once you start your treatment.

it’s a boost to think that your med is kicking ms’ arse!

i find that relapses are one of those flu like times.

pre ms flu was the worst it ever got.

now it’s a relapse.

relax, don’t stress EVER!!

carole x

Hi Carole,

Thank you. I’m really hoping to be put on Tysabin I think that’s how you spell it. After reading up on the DMT drugs this is the only one it seems that would be suitable to start if we want to try for a family because it says you can take upto conception. Most of the others advise not to get pregnant while taking. So I’m crossing my fingers.

Leanne x

hi leanne

do you mean Tysabri?

the infusion?

i have no experience of this drug but a friend is on it.

i am unsure of tysabri and pregnancy.

discuss it with your ms nurse.

tysabri won’t be delivered to your house, you will have your infusion in hospital.

good luck

post again if you need more information.

everyday living has more people and you are more likely to get a reply there.

carole x