ESA how long

Hi hope everyone is feeling ok i was just wondering how long do you have to keep sending in sick notes its been 6 mounths and i still havent been seen or contacted by anybody about ESA. Thank you katy. PS do they have spell check on here

Hi Katy well I would`ve thought 6 months was long enough…but yo do have to wait utill they tell u not to send them anymore. Dont ask them, as that could go wrong for you.

No spel cck…hhahaha…I need one too!

pollx

hi,

i believe statatury sick pay last for 28 weeks, after that you can then go through the process of claiming ESA, not sure if they will voluntarily tell you about it though! you might be best off contacting the job centre and asking them rather than going through your work (from experiance, bosses dont take to kindly to being asked about it as it kinda shows your not planning on comming back to work anytime soon!)
hope that helps :slight_smile:

SSP lasts 26 weeks – as you near the end of this time your employer should send you form SS1 so that you can make a claim for ESA. Sometimes you need to ask for it but it should be automatic.

Jane

PS There is no spell checker – alas. My typing and spelling are so awful I cut and paste from Word so that I don’t illustrate to the world what a twit I am!

My SSP ran out 28 Feb…my company never told me till 6 weeks later …have had to go to GP for backdated Fit Notes…sent them to ESA recorded delivery …they have lost them…no payments since end of Feb.

Graham

Hi.

There was an assessment phase of 13 weeks for all new ESA applications. During this phase, you should be paid ESA at a reduced rate - the basic allowance.

There are two elements of ESA, contributory - for people who have paid enough National Insurance contributions, and income-related for people who are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings. You can receive either or both of these elements, depending on your circumstances.

Your rate will also depend on whether you are placed in the support group or the work-related activity group. If you are placed in the support group, you will recieve more money and will not be expected to do any work-related activity. If you are placed in the work-related group, it will be a lower amount and you will haveto meet work-related conditions to keep getting the benefit.

For more detailed information on whatyou may get, visit Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): What you'll get - GOV.UK

Important information.

This benefit is being replaced by UNIVERSAL CREDIT. They may of started this in your area.

That might be your delay. So it is best to contact ESA department to find out your situation, as soon as possible.

Hope this is of use. Andy

Hi. Your ESA maybe delayed, due to the introduction of “UNIVERSAL CREDIT” they have started this if you are a new applicant and in some parts of the country, check tomorrow with the ESA department, to find out your situation. It is just a phone call, in a way, they would expect you to phone by now. Hope all goes well. Andy

I made claim in june 2013 sent in sick notes for 6 months and gp refused to give me more they send out esa50 form fill it in send it back and wait for an assessment once you pass if you do i failed it and i struggle to walk but not diagnosed at the time or now but got it on a reconsideration had to claim JSA until my ESA was sorted it’s a pain in the butt so once you get form send as much medical infomation you can, i had a rubbish gp then so mine wasen’t good.

I get reassessed in Janurary.

Information.

You can not claim ESA if you are recieving JSA or SSP.

There is an assessment phase of 13 weeks for all new ESA applicatios. During this phase, you should be paid ESA at a reduced rate - the basic allowance.

There are two elements of ESA, contributory - for people who have paid enough NIC, and income-related for people who are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings. You can recieve either or both of these elements, depending on your circumstances.

Your rate will also depend on whether you are placed in the support group or the work-related activity group. If you are placed in the support group, you will recieve more money and will not be expected to do any work-related activity. If you are placed in the work-related activity group,it will be a lower amount and you will have to meet work-related conditions to keep getting the benefit.

More information - Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): What you'll get - GOV.UK

IMPORTANT - Introduction of - “UNIVERSAL CREDIT”- and all its problems.

Good luck. Andy

So what happens when the 13 week deadline has been and gone, and the only thing that’s happened is you’ve been made to go once to the local Job Centre for an interview that was a complete waste of time?? Still sending fit notes in, still getting initial reduced-rate payments. Oh, and they’ve only lost my fit-note once…so far!

Thank you everyone i will ring the DWP tomorrow and see whats happening. i always send my sick notes in having got a note from the post office saying that it has been posted and what date as i have had a couple go missing but later been found but have had no trouble since i started doing this, also on the news last night there was an item about ESA and how long claims were taking due to the dreaded ATOS taking so long to do assesments no surprise then. thank you all once again. Katy

As long as you send in fit notes you keep getting it until you are assessed by atos or capita they will send you a letter mine took ages so had to claim jsa for 1week. I failed assessment and use crutches to help me walk housebound now I’ve gotten worse I am in work related group but my advisor does them over phone she knows I may have ms so she’s okay with me it’s not a nice process so when you get esa50 send as much medical info you have. The esa50 form you must fill in when you get it you have a few weeks then you will either get a letter from dwp saying your in support group or WRAG or you will get a letter for an assessment decision is usually 2 weeks after assessment.