DMD's - the honest truth!

In just recovering from a relapse too - hence why I’m trying so hard not to stress myself out about which meds to choose. I like the fact that avonex is only once a week in comparison to rebif which is 3 times a week - my logic behind that thought process is that if I am unlucky an i get side effects at least I’m only have one injection per week. However than there’s another thought process which is that with rebif your body gets used to it more because its more injection per week so side effects should hopefully stabilise more. Not sure if that logic makes sense to anyone!

Karina, I know it is a hard decision and you can have information overload. So here is some more!. It is difficult to stop taking Tysabri, you suffer whats called a rebound reaction which tends to trigger a major relapse. If you go for this you are probably locking yourself into this treatment for the medium term. Just wanted you to know what I learnt after my decision. All the best Peter.

I ruled out Avonex when the nurse showed me the needle! I’m not scared of injections normally but three little needles a week beats one big one!

T x

Haven’t seen the needles yet - got all that to face! Maybe that will make my mind up for me! Did the rebif/avonex number of injections versus side effect thing I mention make sense? Is it logical or is there no logical thinking when it comes to the choices of those DMD’s

Your hospital seem have things all bum about face (that’s the polite version!). I was told by my neuro that it was time to choose a DMD then went to see the nurse at the same hospital where she ran through the choices and demonstrated the syringes with each one and the auto injectors that are available with each one. She demonstrated them all on some fake skin so I could see how easy they were. She gave me a huge information pack and the website address for msdecisions. I worked my way through the whole lot before making my choice. There were videos on the msdecisions site showing patients injecting which made it a little less scary. I seem to remember there was a questionnaire at the end where you weighed up your lifestyle against the likelihood of side effects and it narrowed down your choice for you. That’s how I chose Rebif. I was never offered Tysabri - probably not bad enough at the outset.

I think I can see where you are coming from with the side effects being only once a week with Avonex and I know that is why some people opted for it. It does make sense. I think your body will get used to any drug over a few weeks (if it’s going to cope with it) however often you take it within a week. Everyone is different and you won’t know until you try unfortunately. The other thing to remember is that if you opt for one of the injectables and it doesn’t work for you or you cannot tolerate the side effects, it is fairly simple to come off it and try something else.

Tracey x

Thanks Tracey. I’m hoping that the ms nurse on Friday comes prepared with all the information packs on the DMD’s and give me a little more advice. Will give her a ring and double check she brings the information!

Good luck, Karina. I hope that whatever you choose works for you and reduces your relapses for as long as possible.

T x

Thanks Tracey. Hope you feel better soon too x