Coping with Caring

I am really glad for you Nicola and glad that you got the help you need. All this information will be useful when I can feel I can let go. The assessment will only tell me that I have too much money in the bank which I would have liked to leave to the children, I am certainly over the threshold where benefits are concerned.

[quote=“Ratmouse”] The assessment will only tell me that I have too much money in the bank which I would have liked to leave to the children . [/quote]

Ratmouse, if you have not yet done so, please do consult your children before assuming that this is what they would want.

Alison

2 Likes

I appreciate your advice Alison, but I don’t think consulting the children on the issue in question would be a good idea. It is obvious what their reply would be. It is not just about the money either, my wife needs 24/7 care. Getting her sorted first thing in the day and last thing at night, the time you usually have carers in is not difficult, it is the constant attention she needs, needing to be there all the time without a break. As I mentioned before I used to get a four hour break once a month, but that has now ceased due to council cuts.

The next stage of my wife’s care will be in a care home and it is this that I want to delay as much as is possible. I have not looked into the cost, but from others in similar circumstances £800 plus per week is an average price for care. I doubt very much whether she will get the same care in a care home on a one to one basis as she does now, but I realise it will come to that one day. There is a scheme that you can draw up with a solicitor that protects half your property, but that has to run for seven years before it is active.