Best mobility scooters?

Hi everyone, I was hoping to pick your brains on mobility scooters… My neighbour is looking for one and a bit put off as they all seem to say you can’t take them out in the rain.

Is that right? Or a super cautious manufacturer warning? What are your mobility scooter recommendations?

1 Like

I reckon that manufacturers probably do not want to be taken to court. They can not claim to be weather proof without extensive testing or special materials and expensive designs. I think we are all aware that exposed electrics or electronics are vulnerable to water damage.

I saw this quote from one supplier " Mobility scooters/wheelchairs are not made to be waterproof , they are electric machines made to transport mobility impaired personnel. These machines are not designed for the rain, and if left out could result in electrical issues…"

A look at Google showed a number of weather proofing ideas for mobility scooters.
I have used my lightweight scooter in light rain and so far had no problems.
Sorry if this is not much help
Mick

2 Likes

I think some are more vulnerable than others. If they advertise waterproof covers for the electronics I would think that indicates avoid. I suspect a Tramper would shrug off a shower or two but some are definitely vulnerable. Suggest going with the advice of a shop that has a repair department.
I would avoid going out in the rain as it is a very miserable experience!

3 Likes

It’s super helpful thanks Mick and totally what I suspected. What make’s your scooter if you don’t mind me asking?

Also - just realised my user name is ‘Babs Admin’ - I do work for MS Society UK. But I’m posting in a personal capacity here!

My little scooter is a SupaScoota sprint

1 Like

I also have a Tramper which does a lot of work in the rain and after 10 years of paddling in the sea (whenever possible)
bits finally rotted enough for me to need a replacement. Pretty robust
Mick

1 Like

I only have a SupaScoota Sport XL, but was on a Tramper on Sutton Bank today. They are in a completely different class. Strangely I always think of Davros the founding Dalek in Doctor Who when I sit in one.

1 Like

Have a look on Living Made Easy > Access and Mobility > Wheelchairs, Scooters and Buggies.

The Living Made Easy site is run by a charity, is impartial and with multiple sourcing options. Massive selection including all-terrain. I always start with “Do you want a scooter or a chair?” - look at both. Folding wheelchairs generally more compact for transporting by car, bus, train, plane etc.

2 Likes

My 9 years experience with mobility scooters is that if it is suitable for the public highway (8mph, lights, mirrors, DVLA licensed) it will be suitable to use in the rain. I wouldn’t, however, leave it outside on charge without a cover. One of the better ones is indeed the Tramper.

2 Likes

This is all fab thank you everyone! :heart:

1 Like

Hi Babs,
my grandmother had the same thoughts. I’ve been told that the manufacturers have put a lot of work into testing the mobility scooters, to make sure it is waterproof in some way. to much water isn’t good for it ofcourse, but I think your neighbour isn’t going to use it to take a swim. I’ve bought (removed by moderator)at an online store for seniors for my grandmother and it has shown to be able to take some rain.

I’ve now got a beast of a mobility scooter (similar to the other one mentioned here) but now no good to me as I no longer have the strength and mobility to get on it. I use a powered wheelchair and have taken it out occasionally in the rain without any noticable deterioration or damage.

I’m about to buy a new mobility scooter. I’ve always used, for over 10 years now, a DiBlasi R30. I’m on my second as I love them, but as my MS has changed I need a different scooter, more stabile more powerful. I’m thinking of getting a Supescoota Spartan. Has anyone used one of these, or has used them in the past ?

Hi there, you can take the mobility scooter out in the rain if you buy a cover for the controls which is cheap enough, most battery’s are under cover within the framework and hidden under the seat.