Forum

Baclofen, rash and itching.

Hi everyone. Friday was my 7th day of taking Baclofen and started itching. Yesterday was my 1st day on 10mg twice a day and started a rash aswell as the itching. It looks a bit worse this morning and have decided not to take my pills. Has anyone else had this or is it normal and it will pass when my body gets used to it? Heather

Patient information leaflet lists skin rash as a possible side-effect, but also (separately) an allergic reaction leading to severe difficulty breathing, which, confusingly, also mentions skin rash or hives. One (the breathing one, obviously) is listed as a medical emergency, but the other as a common side-effect!

So I’m not sure what to deduce from that. As you’ve only ever taken two lots of 10mg (a low dose, but perhaps still a bit high to start with?) there shouldn’t be a “weaning off” issue, but I’d do what you have done, and not take today’s - seek the advice of a doctor or pharmacist in the morning.

Obviously, if you do develop any breathing difficulties, contact emergency services. Not trying to frighten you, but it’s all in the leaflet - always first place to look.

I’ve just spotted that it lists excessive sweating as a side effect. Been moaning about that on here, and assumed my thermostat was broken because of the MS. Now realising it might be my Baclofen!

Tina

x

Sorry, I misread it, I now see you’d already been taking it for a few days at a lower dose. Not sure if it’s OK to stop suddenly from 20 if you’d already been taking it some days. Any pharmacists open near you on a Sunday? Or try NHS-direct, or whatever they’re called now - pretty sure it still exists, but under some other name.

Tina

Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided to try the lower dose of 5mg twice a day and see if it comes back. Ill phone my gp tomorrow. Heather

I think that’s a good compromise, Heather. If you were OK at the lower dose, and definitely not experiencing breathing problems, just step back to the dose you were still OK at, until you can get advice. As you’ve literally spent only one day at the higher dose, your doc might say it’s OK just to stop altogether. Or, conversely, suggest you persevere to see if it goes away.

It’s a pity you’ve had a reaction, as I’ve found Baclofen such a godsend, and don’t think I’ve ever noticed any side-effects, with the possible exception of the sweating - but I’m still not sure that isn’t part of the MS.

Tina

x