Ash, 33, click through for A complicated and boring introduction

It’s been a while since i used a forum like this, so by all means tell me off if i’m doing something wrong first of all!

My name is Ash, i’m 33, i was given a diagnosis at the end of last year, after i bothered someone with sense about the results of an MRI I sat for the year before, the gap apparently was enough to see the progression of what they described as “very aggressive” MS “caught very early”.

I’m otherwise diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety, and ADHD, which my MS doctor described as “likely to have been caused by the MS” until i told him how young i began to suffer from the lot, which he described as “unfortunate in some ways” (it means i’m going to get a double dose of the symptoms over time which is at least a devil i know by now i suppose).

The second MRI was because i was taken to the emergency room with what turned out to be a broken leg,which I keep repeating was a lucky break! Goodness knows how long i would have been waiting for the first MRI to be glanced at by someone who would have ordered a followup if i hadn’t come in because of an injury caused by the symptoms!

For MS treatment i am on a course of Lemtrada, no idea how common it is to treat MS with, but they said that anything else i could try for it is likely to shorten my life more than the opposite (i tend to bully doctors until they become that curt and explain everything to me rather than talking down to me) and walking with a frame (i was using a stick before) has been a new experience!

I’m trying to get over the first treatment for the MS (my next is apparently next year) and aside from getting every cough and cold worse than i did before, it has at least raised the prospect of knowing what is wrong and being able to cope better with it.

All of that is very hard for my friends and loved ones to come to terms with though, and i’m here because i mentioned to them while they were remarking it was strange how i had no visitors, that I feel like talking with people going through it might be better than demanding everyone be able to understand what it’s like.

That’s all the MS relevant stuff i think, so in general i like to tinker and fix up things, most of all if people would otherwise throw it out. ADHD doesn’t let me read textbooks (or write) as much as i would like to but i do both when i can, i play videogames, talk to people about a few different topics and when i can spare the energy, do some volunteer moderation. There is probably more there, but that is the short version! If you can believe it but if i missed anything, by all means ask.

You could do with a few fewer ailments - couldn’t we all? - but it’s good to hear they’re not messing about on the DMD front. I have heard only good things about Lemtrada’s efficacy, and that’s the only show in town when you have very active RRMS. Unfortunately those big guns were not around when I was dx with the same 20+ years ago, but 10+ years on Tysabri have calmed things right down, but it does not reverse damage already done. Preventing the damage happening in the first place is key, and it makes me happy to hear that you have access to a highly effective treatment before MS has a chance to take too many lumps out of you.

2 Likes