antbiotics?

hi,hope i can just get some opinions.i currently have the cold and chesty cough that i know is going round. as fairly newly diagnosed i just cant remember if my neuro said ‘get antibiotics’ at first sight of any infection.would it be silly to ask doctor?

Hello -hopeful-,and how is our glorious weather affecting you and yours? Have you got a kite? Enough already.The Neurotic is unlikely to have advized anti-biotics.They only kill bacteria not viruses,but prevention is better than cure.A few little things which may help;carry one of those titchy bottles of hand sanitizer,never hold money between your lips,try and keep away from peeps who are 'coughing and barking,generally use a bit of the old common.

The Doctor will be loath to hand out anti-biots,as building a resistance to them functioning is a bad thing.I’m not trying to scare you so close to All Hallows Day,but that is involved in the development of MRSA.

I’ll have to get a chemical suit to keep healthy whilst using the buses.They’re like petri dishes.

Laters,

Wb x

i am going against the long held belief that anti- biotics should be used sparingly.

after six months of constant urinary tract infections i now take one trimethoprim tablet per day as a maintenance course.

the constant infections gave me a pseudo relapse.

if the cough would have warranted anti biotics for a person without ms then maybe give it a try.

your gp would be the best place to start.

carole x

[quote=pigpen]

i am going against the long held belief that anti- biotics should be used sparingly.

after six months of constant urinary tract infections i now take one trimethoprim tablet per day as a maintenance course.

the constant infections gave me a pseudo relapse.

if the cough would have warranted anti biotics for a person without ms then maybe give it a try.

your gp would be the best place to start.

carole x

Carole, l have been taking D-Mannose daily - for some time now. lt was recommended by someone on here. l googled it and read the reviews - and thought l would give it a try. lts a very concentrated version of whatever is in Cranberries that helps keep the bladder healthy. Not everyone can drink loads of cranberry. l have a SPC - and l can see by the catheter that it is much clearer - no sediment - which must be a good sign. As before - my GP would let me have a prescription for Trimethoprin to keep handy in case of uti. Which is usually at a weekend or bank holiday for some reason. l have a friend who get constant uti’s - and she cannot take many of the anti-biotics because they seem to contain E numbers that she is allergic to. Since she started on the D-Mannose - she has not looked back. Now l know what to give her for her Birthday/Xmas.

thanks to you all for your replies-most helpful. i spoke to my doctor today and he has written out a prescription to collect tomorrow, he agreed with neuro that said that infections of any sort need to be nipped in the bud. i have never sought out antibiotics but luckily in my life ive barely had need for no more than one lot per year. perhaps if i collect them tomorrow and then see how i feel over the next few days before i start taking them. thanks