Slowing progression

Hi Kris

I’ve just joined this Forum, and yours was the first post I read.
I guess, I will use this a bit like Facebook. ie. every now and then, but I do like a chat, so here goes.
Being in your 30’s I can hear what you are saying about the frustration and issues.
I was diagnosed about 18 months ago with PPMS. It hit me hard, as my Dad suffered with it, and I watched the decline over a ± 15 year period. Whether that puts me in a good position, I don’t know, but my Mum is a good source of info if I need it.
To be honest I don’t ask a lot, not because it’s upsetting, but because we are all different, and the way I conduct my life is different to that of my Dad.
Telling my Kids and Mum, was the hardest part, but after that, I just get on with life. Maybe I’m lucky that I am a very positive person, otherwise fit, healthy and in good spirits. Also, it helps to have good friends.
The Neuro reckons I could have had MS for 30 years, and could have got it via a virus, at the same time as my Dad.
No one really knows.
I thought my initial symptoms were down to my having so many motorcross falls over the years, until a young physio at Beford hospital suggest I see a Neuro. I guess he didn’t want to commit anything. Bang came the news.
Now I know why I walk with a limp, why my balance isn’t great, why I have ‘foot drop’, and struggle to mow the lawn, and need to know exactly where all the toilets are, and way I need to be careful of caffeine.
That all said, I love cycling, and can still do a 100km Sportive, and loads of other outdoor activities.
I’m 52 now, but do all I can to stay positive, and keep the weight down, although I do enjoy my food. Luckily i’m around 75kgs, so not too bad.
My biggest struggle is walking distances, and stairs. It’s carrying your own body weight that becomes the problem, so keep fit is my biggest tip, and remain positive of course.
Stay away from caffeine ! Nightmare for the bladder, but I find salt intake helps. You need to keep hydrated, so milk is a good one. It’s a good recovery drink too.
Activities withe kids - Cycling & Swimming (Not weight bearing).

I could talk all day about this, so if you want more let me know.
To sum up what I’m like - I knew walking was going to be an issue in future, and I know my Swiss partner loves her walking. We did a HF Walking holiday in Corsica last year, and I just said, when I’ve had enough, I’ll have a days rest. No probs.
3rd day I realised I was struggling so took a rest day. When my partner returned that evening and asked what I had done - sleep, beach, eat & drink etc.
No sweetie, a 70km cycling. She went ballistic !! I was properly knackered then :slight_smile:

Keep smiling, you can’t beat it… yet, but there is an awful lot to enjoy.

1 Like

Hi Namibia, just want to say welcome to the board!

I see you were dx in Bedford. I’ve live in London for many years but I was born and grew up in Bedford.

This is a great place for advice, support & friendship.

Glad you found us,

Pat xx

Thanks Pat,
The young lad in Bedford obviously noticed something, then went to Lister in Stevenage, then a 2nd opinion in Biddenham.
They both said exactly the same. Lesion on spine.
I don’t know about any of these drugs that people have mentioned. Haven’t looked into any of that.

Big believer in talking about things, just makes it all a bit easier. In that way, I am a lot better off than my Dad.
Whats the chances of both of us getting it ?
Focusing on the positives, as there are some.Gives you the hurry-up in certain respects, and gets you looking at nutrition & exercise a bit more. So not all bad.

I went from doing Tour de France climbs in Pyrenees last year, to 1st gear climbs on small hills at the weekend, so I know how things can change. But it’s all good stuff, and shouldn’t stop people getting the most out of their day.
Take the rest where you need it though, little power nap here & there, and try and be kind to yourself.

I’ll go for 30 - 40kms on the bike later today in the sunshine :slight_smile:

Mark

Hi Namibia

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing you soon the boards in the future.

Pam x

Welcome mate It sounds like your in good hands and have the right attitude

ivr spent the week in center parcs and alls been well until today when my calf cramped up and legs got heavy

oddly enough ive got a really sore throat today whether that’s contributed I dont know

Welcome to the forum Namibia x

Hi Namibia,

Welcome you are very positive and that is good to hear as that is my motto too. You say that you have a lesion on the spine. Did they diagnose you with just that? I too have a lesion on the spine, no brain lesions and a clear LP so have no diagnosis yet.

I try to tell myself what is in a label anyway I have to do the best with what I have got.

Moyna x

Moyna,
I had both Brain & Spine.
I was told that the Brain wasn’t conclusive for MS, but the Spine was.
Who knows to be honest. I need a return appointment, as 18 months has now passed.
The confusing thing, is that you hear so many opinions.
I have to say, I have remained a little ignorant of all the medical writings in the subject. My fault I know, as there could be something out there for me.

Kris,
Love Center Parcs. Haven’t been for years, as my kids are all grown up. My eldest is 25 today :slight_smile:
Cramp can be caused by 101 things, but is usually something your body has too much / little of.
A mate, who cycles an awful lot, and gets cramp a fair bit, put his down to lack of sodium / salt.
Obviously you need to be careful with too much !

There is a very interesting line from a book called Feed Zone. It’s a cook book written by a couple of former Tour chefs.
In there it states ‘…we can become paradoxically more dehydrated by drinking water alone, because the body produces urine output to maintain the concentration of sodium’.
i take extra sodium, and it does help a lot on the bladder side, but look into it properly !
Drink more milk :slight_smile:

Another thing that will definitely help is more stretching in your life.
I tried acupuncture for my right leg - the jury is still out on that. But, the Chinese doctor did say, you should be doing 50% stretching, 50% exercise. Yoga & Pilates are the way to go !

Hi & welcome

My diagnosis came about from the discovery of a spinal lesion, so much for that trapped nerve!

I’m 43 and was very fit too, so thinking of an exercise bike now, I’m not sure about my balance on a real one

Sonia x

Hi Sonia,
Yes, balance is a big thing, but is fine once you get going.
I have both an MTB & Road Bike, and they both handle differently.
On the road bike, I have pedals / shoes that clip in, which is great when you are on the move. Less so when you stop, so wouldn’t recommend that.
Test out a mountain bike (hardtail) somewhere, thats probably the best option. If like me you have an issue with one foot that keeps sliding off the pedal, then just get a pair of the old style straps, and use one of them. That holds my right foot in place, and away I go.
The MTB is heavier, but a lot more stable, especially with wind etc. I use mine all year round at the moment, apart from icy conditions.
From Apr - Nov it’s easy outdoors, and a lot less boring than an exercise bike, but obviously in the cold / rain, join a gym.
I do have a Cycleops turbo trainer for the bike, but to be honest - Dull.
If you get good membership at a gym, you will probably get classes free. Everyone recommends Pilates & Yoga.
I notice my walking and general strength is better, when the ‘core’ has been worked a bit.
I ended up doing 48kms yesterday, and feel good today. Yes, my hill strength has left the building, but I still love it. Just takes longer, but I do get to eat more :slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark

Yes, my core strength is actually pretty good, I could dead-lift into that pose in my profile pic right up to a few weeks before diagnosis.

I did the proper Mad-dog Spin instructor training a few years back - there is no way I would trust my right leg on a spin bike, I’d probably break my ankles now

A mountain bike sounds good but I think I’d need to start with an exercise bike for now

Sonia x

Morning Sonia
Sounds good, I assume you are/were a dancer by your ID.
I can’t even figure the picture out, no matter what angle I look from :slight_smile:
Think we should start another new thread on Exercise ? Don’t know if anyone is chatting on the subject at the moment.
Had a good weekend on the bike. Legs felt good, and wondering if it was down to the food.

Mark

Love it Mark, that photo is the right way up, the move is called a ‘shoulder mount’ so started with feet on the floor and I was moving into a ‘jack-knife’ pose. I could do that move from standing or from up the pole i.e. quite a bit tougher

I think facebook seems a better place to just chat

Sonia x