HSCT Panorama Bingo

We don’t know for sure that anyone is cured by it! They’ll have to follow up the participants for a much longer period, before that becomes clear - and also whether there are any long-term adverse effects.

I think it’s generally accepted that MS IS an immune system disease, so I don’t question that part. But as we don’t really know what makes the immune system start acting strangely, will a complete wipe of it permanently solve the problem, or will the same processes start to act on the “new” immune system, and in a few years, MS will re-emerge?

Of course, buying “a few years” of low to no progression wouldn’t be trivial, but not exactly a “get out of jail free” card, if it needed repeating every five to ten years. And every time, you’d be accepting the same risks. How many times would you stay lucky?

Tina

I’m with you on this but the programme was titled “Can you cure my MS?” and the programme makers were clearly implying that the answer to the question was “yes”.

I can’t see that I would have this done. I don’t like the risks. I’ve also been told that the chemotherapy that kills off your immune system is carcinogenic. Okay for someone who already has cancer anyway - what have they got to lose - but would I do it and risk the increased chance of cancer later on?.. I guess so many things are risky, but everything surrounding HSCT is just a bit more than I’m willing to take a chance on.

Oh - and I’m up to 5 people now! Have told them all that for me, in my position, the risks are far too high for me to be willing to take the chance on it.

1 Like