Has your neuro ever been wrong?

It’s hard to truly know isn’t it!? I feel the same, my MRI is in January so I don’t know what is going on with my body either.

There’s so many possibilities too, if your Neurologist doesn’t think MS or Vit D deficiency then maybe it’s neither. If you do have a long term condition, then it can take years to reach a definitive diagnosis. So perhaps, the only thing you can do for now is take your Vit D, get your MRI and stay away from Google!

Maybe focus on some nice things, try to make plans etc, Christmas is coming up! It’s hard I know. I tried not to google my symptoms until after I saw the neurologist, which bought me here.

Try to protect your sanity by focusing on what you can do with your body, not what you can’t.

x

You are wondering whether you should spend £800 on a private MRI. Here’s a thought experiment that might help you explore your views. What if the MRI cost £8,000, not £800? Would you have said yes, let’s do it, and got your chequebook out without hesitation?

Or would you have thought actually no, OK, let’s wait a little while instead and see what time reveals? Would you have thought maybe you should instead spend your hard-earned £8,000 on something a bit more useful, like putting it towards the deposit on a flat or something?

Whatever you think about the notional £8,000 MRI, check that you feel the same about the £800 one. And if you don’t think the same about both, ask yourself why not.

Alison

I’d really rather just get it over with at this point or the anxiety is going to ruin Christmas for me. I need to know what’s going on in my body, if there’s no explanation then that’s fine I just don’t want MS because I’m getting worse everyday

hiya no explaination wont be fine i suspect. i do feel for you-anxiety wise-that what u need go get under some sort of control as thats what playing with yer heid-not any potential diagnosis. on diagnosis of anything that tends to bring even more questions. take care ellie

1 Like

yeah Chocorange is right too, diagnosis can seem like the Holy Grail for some until they get the diagnosis then it’s more questions, worries, treatment worries, questions about relapses. Really diagnosis is only the beginning of a long journey.

Also, I think getting your anxiety under control will make you feel loads better too. But if that means spending £800 on an MRI than maybe that’s what you have to do, although definitely only spend £800 if you can definitely afford it. Do not take out credit etc, for a reassurance scan. I made some bad decisions in the depths of anxiety, only to have to deal with it later.

x

1 Like

It’s hard to get my anxiety under control when I feel awful, I’m hoping for no diagnosis tbh so I’m willing to pay

Hi

Quite possibly not what you want to hear, but my clinical exam was fine. My neuro said he’d put money on it not being MS, but I had an MRI through an insurance policy I had and lesions were found. On the basis of that and my clinical history he went on to diagnose RRMS.

good luck x

Thank you, I’m hoping that it’s just the vitamin D deficiency as my symptoms haven’t gone away and I’m only 22 so the odds of me getting PPMS are pretty low, not impossible but I’d say the vitamin deficiency is the more likely option. I’ll find out friday :slight_smile:

I don’t know your specific situation, but if you can afford the MRI then in my opinion go for it. I know what it’s like to really worry about something and if you think having the mri will bring clarity then it’s worth the peace of mind. Some people are worriers some go with the flow. Do you not have to have a referral letter from a doctor thou and as others have said who will interpret the results as lesions can be caused by all sorts of things.

Had my MRI today! Seeing neuro on friday for results :frowning: