Happy New Year (when it comes) - What age will my life end?...

Hi Marcus. I had my first symptons when I was 33yrs old, although slight. I went 8yrs and then started having relapsing/remitting. I managed to live a good life as much as possible until I had to use a wheelchair 5yrs ago. It is a powerchair so I can manage to move around as I want both in the house and by taxi and even on the bus sometimes. I am 71yrs old now, but my mind is still young! Try not to worry too much, get your affairs in order to make you feel better and then try to relax a bit and enjoy life with your family. Good luck.

Muriel xx

Thanks for your reply, ‘Susicue’ (nice graphic too). I’m 55 going on 56 and you say alot of ‘common sense’. I enjoyed what you had to say and it ‘lifted’ alot of the ‘uncertainties’ that I have about MS - it is ‘perhaps’ more of a ‘male’ thing although I’m not saying that males suffer any more than females from MS! Even although I played rugby and got a red belt with black tags in a martial art - the MS has altered my ability to walk (I need some ‘support’) - Thanks, again - I should sleep better tonight!

Happy New Year.

Marcus.

Thanks for your reply, Cheryl - I enjoyed all of what you said. I think that I remember ‘Lisa Stansfield’ but I have problems with my memory but I don’t really care! I was a Company Director when I was in St. Andrews but now I am unemployed and not necessarily ‘looking for work?’ Thanks for reminding me about ‘chatting’ because if you hadn’t - I would have forgotten that too (not by choice). I hope that we continue to communicate but please forgive me if I have forgotten about it by morning!

All the best for this year!

Marcus, x.

Well, Marcus,

You have heard from young Chris; now here is a different view.

I had the onset of my MS at 69 - and I have just turned 74. Life is getting a little harder, but it is not going to beat me.

You asked a question to which there is no easy answer. When I had my heart bypass operation, I was told that the average “life” of a bypass op was 7.5 years.
That was in 2000. You could say that the average means that the top life expectancy would be 15 years - hey, I have another three left. Statistics out of context are meaningless. I know people with MS who are older, and younger, than I am - so what does that prove.

When you get your driving licence back, look for a diesel/automatic. The extra torque of the diesel makes it so much easier to drive. The experts will tell you that a petrol engine is cheaper to run if you do a low mileage - they never consider the ease of driving. And do make sure that you can get in and out easily - I am considering a change of car right now, and one contender has been struck off the list because I could not even get into it.

Anyway, just figure that you have a target - get that licence back. You can then expect to enjoy driving again - and for some yoars to come.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Sorry about the delay, but once read, I was ‘highly impressed’ by your advice - so good that you should actually try to share it with others, (if you want).

Please look after yourself and have as good a year as possible.

Best wishes for 2012,

Marcus.

Thanks Corinne. Please forgive me, I didn’t forget about your message - just took a wee bit longer to send your reply - thanks for the ‘upbeat’ message - it was very ‘heart-warming’ - hope you and your (big) family have a great 2012!

Love,

Marcus. x.