fasting?

Hello ggood, there was no mention in the Horizon program or by myself that the fasting would aid neurological conditions. My question is could it? I have also purposely stated that it is unlikely to be a cure for MS because we must first find out what causes demylination to happen. What we should bear in mind however is that the mice that were made to fast seemed to develop new brain cells as a direct result of the fasting. When I heard this my ears pricked up. The mice had better brain health and lived significantly longer. I point out again I do not see this as a cure for MS but possibly an aid to better brain health, especially if humans can also develop new brain cells whilst fasting. I really hope someone looks into this. What appeared to be a definite result was that it greatly reduced the risk of developing conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. This alone is a good enough reason to give it a go because I can think of nothing worse than having MS and then later in life also developing diabetes and heart disease as well.

It was also beneficial for lowering a growth factor that seems to be implicated in the development of some cancers, and which seemed to be the most important aspect for Michael Mosely. I was impressed that, with all the documentaries he’s made, he found this one the most beneficial, intriguing and interesting. Great to be paid to do that research, tho’he found some of the fasting a bit tough. I read on the website that he ate 2 x 300 calorie meals a day, one as breakfast, scrambled eggs etc, the other grilled fish and vegetables later on in the day. As you say, quite ‘do-able’.

B x

I did see the original programme and Martin Mosley is a very engaging chap, if not exactly the finest physical specimen. He makes good TV though and this programme was certainly thought provoking.

The fact is that most of us MSers lead more sedentary lives and need fewer calories anyway, so it makes perfectly good sense to me to eat less. Personally, I tend to stick with oily fish, fruit & vegetables and find it easy to steer clear of rubbish.

I hope you use your 400 calories wisely and please keep us updated on how the experiment works out.

I think this is interesting and if fasting has a positive effect on people with serious or any disease then that has to be worth investigating further.

One thing that did strike was, that if fasting is a trial, then the idea of putting yourself through this to live longer seems a bit drastic - ie why suffer just to spend another 2, 5 or whatever years in a nursing home. There has to be some correlation between quantify and quality. Maybe its better to eat, drink and be merry! In moderation of course.

I think Pat has the best point. Fatigue is a big risk of fasting.

Two weeks ago, I suddenly lost the ability to swallow. Since then, I have had a constant struggle to get food into my body, so I have unwillingly been testing your hypothesis for you. Some days I simply don’t manage enough calories (I aim for 2000 but sometimes it’s only 1000) and, when I don’t, the fatigue is the worst I’ve had.

If you do it, be careful.

Dave

l know if l can keep to a low or no carbohydrate diet l feel so much better. Tummy/Bowels - better behaved - and far more energy. lf l eat carbs l feel so tired as your stomach has to work so hard to digest them. So l can imagine how the occasional ‘fast’ will help clear out and kick start your metabolism.

Yesterday l tried making a ‘smoothie’ with some of the chard l have been growing - l added a tin of tomatoes to make it more palatable but then added Tabasco - but put too much in and spoilt it. lt was a lovely shade of green - very healthy looking - but l had only a glass full then tipped it down the sink. Will try it again - as chard- like kale is supposed to be so good for pwms.

At the moment l am making 5 giant cupcakes for a ‘Fantasy Princess Castle’ - each cake takes 6 eggs. Tomorrow l shall be decorating them. [Daughter volunteered me to do this for her friends little girl] So at the moment l have licked too many bowls and spoons of leftover cake mix. So a good fast would be in order!!!

lf anyone does try this - let us know how you get on. The fasting l mean - not the giant cupcakes. [Dr Oetker’s Cake Release Spray - works a treat with these fiddly cake tins]

F.

They also highlighted the guy who did the London marathon and was 101 years old. He put it down to in India where he grew up they lived on very small portions of food.

He not only is coherent; walks marathons but by the looks of him will make 120