Diagnosed with ppms

Hi Doug. Welcome to the group. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have found this lovely bunch of people to have a wealth of knowledge and experience that has proved invaluable in helping me get to grips with my new life.

i would second Pat’s advice to join Benefits and Work. They have excellent guides which should give you an idea of what help there is out there. One tip that worked well for me was being able to provide letters from my Neuro so when you see him/her ask to be copied in on any correspondence. I also had a wheelchair referral and because I just wanted a self propel standard chair they delivered that pretty quickly without waiting for an assessment which can take months.

I also have a mobility scooter. I went to our local supplier and tried out several and once I had decided, actually purchased it from the Internet. Cheeky I know but it saved me £350. Becoming disabled is a costly business so every little helps.

Angie - welcome to the gang.

1 Like

Hi Angie, thanks for the welcome, you are all so helpful, its great. Thank you all.

1 Like

One more thing Doug… anything you buy like scooter or anything to help with disability is exempt of VAT. Make sure you fill in the form the retailer will offer you. Can be a big saving on an expensive item like scooter or even on recliner chair (which is another thing I would not live without!).

Pat xx

1 Like

Thanks Pat, that’s a really useful bit of info, I didn’t think about the tax or being exempt. Thanks for that.

Doug

2 Likes

Lots of good second-hand scooters about. Many people buy them - then do not use them much [a bit like gym memberships].

TGA - as l mentioned before - also sell second hand reconditioned scooters. google them.

And benefitsandwork are great for helping fill in forms and help you appeal if you do not get what you feel you are entitiled to.

l do not use my mobility allowance for buying a car or a scooter. l find it cheaper to do it myself and keep my weekly payments. This is because they charge top rate for items like scooters and electric wheelchairs - quite often double what you can get one for on the open market. So be aware.

l have a trailer for my Tramper - so l can hitch it up to the car to take to places. l like to go to ploughing matches and vintage tractor shows/horse shows/dog shows. Royal Show/Three Counties - most of these l take the dogs along as well. l can get out and about in snow and ice - when the rest of the village is house-bound. l have bought some ‘Trax’ - they are to put under the wheels if l do get stuck. As yet - still to use them. l have very fit dogs - they love to run alongside - and l can keep a waterproof cape in the holdall - plus l carry water and a bowl for the dogs. And a foot-pump! Poo bags - although l never need them for mine - they wait until they get home before going - prefer their own lawn. Also, l never let my dogs ‘sniff’ as we go along - hate to see peoples dogs dragging them from one smell to another.

1 Like

Before all this, I went to the royal Norfolk show and the eagf, but not 3 counties, I’ve been told that’s a good one, but since moving and having these troubles I’ve not been to any. Its good that you’re able to get to them, I have thought about a trailer for if I want to go further afeild.

1 Like

Can I ask you all if this is normal?

My mobility is affected by heat, last year before I was diagnosed and I was a lorry driver, I was regularly asked if I’d been drinking. This was in the summertime, in the winter my mobility seems a little better, but now the weather is getting warmer, I’m struggling to walk again.

Also my second question is, should eating affect me? When I have my evening meal, I have to wait between half hour and a hour as this again affects my mobility. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Doug

I didn’t pick up on the eat thing too quickly, my neuro picked it up quite quickly, they call it Uthoff’s phenomena:

I get Magicool spray whenever it’s on 3 for 2 offers. There’s cold pillows and all sorts now (I think that’s even called a chillow)

Good luck

Sonia x

Thanks Sonia, that’s answered both questions in one. Looks like I’ll be getting shares in an ice factory now then. Thanks again.

Doug

Heat is terrible for most people with MS!

Get yourself a good strong fan for summer or an air conditioning unit.

If your sheets aren’t 100% cotton, it’s worth buying new. My MS nurse suggested this and it has helped.

Avoid hot baths and showers. Actually before MRI and LP, they used to use a hot bath as one way of dx MS!

Pat xx

1 Like

Yes that’s another one to add to the list of symptoms Doug, I definitely agree its best not to have a bath or shower too hot.

I also noticed when I used to swim in a heated pool, same would happen then.

All part of the joy of ms I’m afraid.

Pam x

1 Like

I didn’t realise I had my bath too hot/warm yesterday till I tried to get up and out, couldn’t move my right leg quick enough so I slipped banging both elbows and the base of my spine…will I ever learn!

Jan x

1 Like

I’ve just dried my hair and consequently I can barely stand My hair reaches my waist at the back but the idea of trying to contend with it more than once a week seems so much worse…so yes, my choice!

At least we can some idea of why something might not work for us

Sonia x

1 Like

Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear you have joined this club. I was diagnosed with MS in March. My Consultant told me it looks like progressive but it was too early to say. See him again on Tuesday so hoping for more info then. Sorry to hear about your Licence. I am still waiting for a decision from the DVLA but my Consultant thinks I can keep my licence at the mo so hoping I just get 1, 2 or 3 year licence. Also luckily discovered I have Critical Illness cover which will cover a large chunk of my mortgage, have my fingers crossed as know how insurance companies will try to wiggle out of things will believe it when the money is in the bank.

Snowqueen x

1 Like

You should get it Snowqueen. Nobody can argue that MS isn’t a critical illness.

Pat xx

Re PIP

our nearby CAB has someone funded by the MS society who helps with applications. Might be worth contacting them and asking.

Also cool sprays - body shop has a nice peppermint one!

Hi Angie and welcome to the forum, as the others said it’s a good place to meet other people with ms and their support, experience and knowledge has been a huge help for me. They’re friendly and approachable and I don’t know where I’d be without them.

Cath

1 Like