Forum

Wise advice

“My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit as well as physically.”

Quote from the wonderful Stephen Hawking who sadly passed away today. He certainly followed that advice himself. Truly inspirational.

4 Likes

he had it all.

brains, humour (man he was hilarious), respected by his peers, loved by the nation, loved by the world.

when i watched the film the theory of everything and saw him rushing through the university but falling flat on his face, it brought a moment of recognition of when i realised something was seriously wrong with me.

it brings it home that ms isn’t the worst possible diagnosis.

of all my heroes who have died in the last couple of years, this was the only news that brought me instantly to tears.

planet earth is the poorer for his loss.

Yes indeed tippy. One of his other quotes highlighted, went something along the lines of don’t give up work, as work gives your life worth etc (obviously not a direct quote). This struck me, as I don’t work, and have even given up voluntary work as i just couldn’t manage. Now, I’m not a great scientist you see and will never contribute to the world like he did, but I do agree with the great man and miss feeling part of something and having worth. So I’m not sure what to do, and will try to continue every day to achieving something, however small.

i listened to many of his quotes and interviews yesterday, and he was hilarious. May he rest in peace