When a diagnosis comes.

When you get a diagnosis from the neurologist and you go into his room to be told, do you have to see the scans of your brain etc? I really wouldn’t want to see. They would be images that would emotionally and mentally mess me up. After I had my first scan & I got called into his room, I couldn’t even walk in because I could see a picture of my scan on his screen and a large white lump was on it, I turned around & completely freaked out, I had to be taken into a separate room to be calmed down. I never made it into his room, he had to come and see me.

You poor thing - that must have been horrible! I imagine you can ask NOT to be shown your scan. Perhaps mention to the secretary/receptionist that you feel very strongly about it, and ask her to tell the neuro before you go in. My daughter was shown hers, because the neuro likes the technology of it all, I think - and because nowadays doctors are taught to share everything with patients. But I bet your neuro will remember you freaked out and make sure you don’t have to see it.

Good luck next time!

V

Yep - just tell them beforehand so the monitor isn’t facing you or you could always stop at the door, before you can see the neuro’s desk, and tell him/her that you don’t want to see your scans so please could they make sure nothing’s visible.

One thing though - depending on what type of scan is on the monitor, a big white lump may be normal. The lakes of CSF in the middle of the brain, the ventricles, look like massive black holes on a “T1 scan” and like massive white lumps on a T2 scan. In fact, T2 scans show up white areas all over the brain - all of which are normal because CSF bathes the brain all over and CSF looks white on a T2 scan. Also, MS lesions are actually pretty small and are easily missed if you don’t know what you’re looking for. The average MS lesion is only 7mm across. In a brain that is ~15cm, 150mm, from front to back - you could fit more than 20 average MS lesions in a line from front to back!

Karen x