Forum

What will I do from now on?

With great sadness, the process of applying for PIP has finally come to an end, as the 'lovely people" at the DWP have decided that I’m entitled to standard rate for the care component, and enhanced rate for mobility.

This is broadly as I was expecting, so why the sadness, you may ask? Let me explain, just like everyone else who has a chronic illness, I too just sat on my bum all day with nothing to do or to occupy my mind, and so from the moment the “brown envelope” arrived, I was eager to begin the extremely joyful process of applying for PIP.

After being awarded DLA indefinitely, I was facing a life without any real stress or challenges. My care free life clearly needed something to concentrate my energy on, and so pip finally gave me the opportunity, that I so desperately needed to stretch myself.

I’ve heard that some people have found the process quite stressful, but for me, having only multiple health issues including MS, to worry about. The tiny extra stress caused by the process, and the possibility of losing money or my car, leaving me housebound, was a small price to pay for the excitement and thrill I felt during the phone calls, form filling, evidence collecting, face to face assessment, and waiting eagerly for the decision.

I would like to thank the DWP, Capita, and the Government, for giving me this enthralling experience. I don’t know how I’m going to fill my days from now on. I really hope I’m still here in 2022, so that I can go through it all again.

6 Likes

Steve, does the 55 indicate your age or the year you were born?

If the latter, we’re the same age. I’m still awaiting this latest white knuckle ride.

Is it as exciting as going to the loo on a moving Southeastern train?

Steve

Does your name have to be Steve to post on this thread.

I hope not.

Maybe just like me Steve55, you’ll get the life affirming opportunity to complete a new Work Capability Assessment for ESA. I was a tad miffed to open the letter yesterday, only just having read that people in the support group for ESA, with lifelong disease, disability or illness, and with little or no chance of ever working again, would not have to prove once again that they are good for nothing. But I suppose I’m one of the last few to be in that group who have to go through what I can only view as torment again.

I am in the fortunate position of being quite good at completing benefit claim forms. But I am not in any way looking forward to completing this one. Again. Only months after completing my PIP forms. And even being capable of completing benefits claims, I will be spending the next couple of months in a state of near panic at all times at the thought of losing my ESA.

I think there must be other ways of bringing entertainment, excitement and thrills into ones life. Even a life lived with MS and quite severe disability.

Sue

1 Like

Well krakowian, you might be onto something. It’s not a Steve thing but an initial thing, Steve, Steve, Sue and slug…sssssssso

​yes steve55, the excitement of being disabled hey. So the pip’s in (congratulations), there’s always appointments to look forward to, and the mind numbing repetitiveness of figuring out what to have for tea. Not trying to belittle your thread, I too am struggling for mental stimulation that the body can’t keep up with x

wonder if your name begins with m.s. you have a higher risk of developing m.S. ??

could I inadvertantly have stumbled on one of the causes of m.s.

(not an ‘s’ in my name but my granny was Szuszanna)

2 Likes

Fair enough. You can get British citizenship if your grandparents qualify, so don’t see why it can’t apply here

slug (pseudonym for Muriel Schnozbottom)

ok krak tha t made me smile!

my kids always say its cos i am a ms and not miss or mrs! have changed my title but still not cured-oh well, it was worth a try!

ellie

Hello I’m new on this forum,

looking to find out best advice here!! My dad rang me last night telling me mum has gone off her legs a few times and is refusing to eat,I’m thinking depression? Seen here this morning and hardly talking etc …eeekkk

sdy, you’ve tacked your post on to the end of another thread. Best to start a new one to get some responses.

Have to admit I’m a bit confused by your post. Does your mom have MS?

Steve 55.

I have two questions on your post

1. Are you for real?

2. Was your post written tongue in cheek!

I hope it was the second option, cos who the chuff would wanna be put through the torture of having to justify their need for benefits every so often, if they were able to work?

Yeh, I know about those miscreants who defraud the DWP on a regular basis and then run like hell to spend them!

Pollsx

I think polls, it was deffo tongue firmly in cheek…

1 Like

1955 the year that all the best People were born!!

I experienced the thrill of the ESA, application last year, but was so disappointed when ATOS decided that I didn’t need to carry out a WCA. I was so looking forward to having to prove just how disabled I am. Never mind, I’m so glad that Capita have a different way of working, and was given the opportunity during the PIP, process.

I really needed the extra hassle, as much as someone being forced to wear a Parker in Death Valley, because it might snow!!!

I am 61 years old, and worked for most of life, paid my taxes, and " did the right thing" had a heart attack, and went back to work, diagnosed with MS, and went to and work. Carried on working until it became too difficult.

Now that I need a little help from the state, I feel that I have to prove that I’m not a "scrounger"when I ask for just a little help. I would give up my ESA, PIP, my friend’s carers allowance etc. In a heartbeat in return for my health.

1 Like

yeh Steve, reckon we`d all do that too.

Disability sure is the pits.

ta chuck!

polllsx

I, Daniel Blake is a brilliant film, portraying the trials of applying for benefits if you are a 56 year old geordie who has worked all his life and WANTS to continue. his sense of humour kept him going until it was destroyed. i never berate myself for my sarcasm regarding our beloved government (god bless saint teresa). carole x

Apart from 1961. When the world changed for the better.

I enjoyed that film too…but didnt it get you cursing? did me!

pollsx

The ‘I, Daniel Blake’, film would have been more powerful if it had been set in Surrey with say a newly qualified GP becoming sick and disabled and having to deal with the officious state. However, the crushing of the middle class remains a taboo theme.