Forum

West Yorkshire

Hi Everyone,

Posted on here a few months ago with regard to a decision to move down to West Yorkshire from Aberdeen and I got some fab responses which really helped with making the decision.

The upshot is that my hubby has now been down there working since October and it’s now getting nearer the time for me to move down and join him.

We’ve been scouring the property sites becoming more and more confused. So any of you lovely people out there who have knowledge of the area, where are the nice places to live in West Yorkshire???

His job is in Bradford city centre and he doesn’t drive so wherever it is needs to have good access to public transport but he doesn’t mind having to commute a reasonable distance.

We originally looked at Bingley and haven’t discounted it yet but was wondering if we might be better heading south to Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge???

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, we are sooo confused!!!

Ann Marie xxxx

Hi Anne Marie I think Baildon, Shipley, Bingley, Guisley and Menston. All should be good for commuting on public transport and all near the countryside. Going now lol X

Hi. Hebden Bridge 3rd funkiest town in Europe has everything and is on direct rail line to Bradford. Helen

Hi,

I can recommend Bingley as I used to live there!

It’s good as you are v close to the countryside yet you can be in Bradford/Leeds on the train in 20 mins.

It has a lot of nice villages surrounding Bingley. The town has found it a little tough since Bradford and Bingley closed it’s office in the town but is definitely worth consideration.

I moved to Leeds sometime ago as I find it easier in a big city with wheelchair access etc but enjoyed my time in Bingers!

Anne Marie

I use to live in burley in wharfedale, the kids went to school in Ilkley i loved it had to be dragged back to Glasgow . The people were nice

trish

I’d head to the north of Bradford - as mentioned, the Bingley/Shipley area is pleasant.

Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge and other towns in the same valley, Aire?, I find claustrophobic.

The Yorkshire character will take a bit of getting used to…

I’m not sure what to say to this - people are people, good and bad everywhere and the idea of a need to adjust to people in Yorkshire …ummm. If you like your talk straight and your smiles genuine you won’t go far wrong. Yorkshire folk don’t gush but you won’t find a warmer bunch mind you if you pixx us off, watch out!

mmmmm - agree about the straight talk, Wendels.

Plenty of smiling Yorkshire WOMEN around but the ‘smiling’ Yorkshire MAN - as rare as hens teeth!

And Yorkshire folk are not always as FRIENDLY as they insist they are. Sociable, yes, but not always friendly.

(Found the physical geography of Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Tod (aaargh!) claustrophobic - hemmed in a steep valley.)