Forum

we are amazing!!!

hi

yesterday i was berating myself because i’m useless at so many things - changing the duvet cover!!

anyway i decided that we shouldnt be annoyed at ourselves for what we can no longer do but we should feel proud of how amazing we were.

in fact we still are amazing!!!

carole xx

You’re right Carole, when I’m having a bad day, I remind myself that I still got up this morning!

Sometimes, I feel like every step is a struggle sometimes but I STILL DID IT :slight_smile: lol

So if nothing else, I have grim determination, in abundance! And you guys reinforce that (especially when I want to avoid reality) as you remind me I’m not the only one and I’m not weak or silly or alone - so thank you, to all that share here :slight_smile:

Sonia xx

Nay lasses…stick with Boudica and we`ll battle on…little victories can be found most days.

As for changing a duvet cover…I used to practically do handstands doing that chore…before I became like I am! I watch my carer do it and she gets puffed!

I just got a self propel shower chair/commode and am amaxed how I can get from the loo to the shower…ON MY OWN!!!

Yep, we sure are amazing!

Keep up the fight lasses!

pollx

We definitely are amazing Carole.

Laughter is the best medicine for me. Especially when laughing at myself.

xxx

We really are amazing people. Laughter is definitely what keepse going…if I ever lose my sense of humour I’m a gonna B-)

Everything we do is worth celebrating!

yes and i made a cake today and it turned out nice!!!

did i say that i’m amazing?

wish i could send you all a slice of my lemon drizzle cake.

carole x

Well said, I try to be pleased too at all the things I do manage, if you try your best, that’s all anyone can ask. I’ve never found changing a quilt cover an easy job anyway tbh, it’s fine taking it off but putting the new one on, now that’s a hard job. Your lemon drizzle cake sounds fab. My 12 year old son and I have made the Christmas cake,we marzipanned (is there such a word!) it yesterday, now just to do the icing? Cheryl:-)

Thanks Jen for that tip, but I try to persuade hubby to do it! There was spare marzipan left after doing the cake yesterday. My son asked me what we should do with it and I said we should eat it so we did! Cheryl:-)

Carole, Lemon drizzle sounds lush :slight_smile:

I decided yesterday that I’m going to have a crack at the Tom Kerridge spiced orrange cake (saw it on Monday, printed the recipe yesterday). I’ll bake it on Christmas day as hopefully there will be a little help around as I haven’t attempted any baking since Dx and I’m not great on my feet!

It sounds lush tho and it’s gluten free :slight_smile: I love Tom Kerridge, we’ve eaten in his pub twice and it is amazing :smiley: I’ definitely getting in the Christmas mood now :wink:

Sonia x

l change the duvet covers the ‘inside out’ way as well. And l lean against or sit on the bed and do it. Another tip is to put a flat sheet on top of the bottom fitted one - then you can launder the flat sheet easier then changing a duvet cover. Means you can leave the duvet cover for much longer between washes. Unless you let 3dogs and a cat get on the bed in the morning. l know thats not in The Guide to Good Dog Handling - but l think my dogs ate that book!

Recently l had friends visit - who l had not seen for 10yrs. l made up my ‘guest suite’ - thought it looked beautiful - even put ‘tea-making facilities’ in. Shower cubicle shone.Towels all neatly folded - even dressing gowns hung up for use. lmagine my dispair and embarrassment when a mouse was found under the bed. [That damn cat again] l fished it out with my gripper rod - and quickly flushed it down my loo. But what l didn’t tell them was it was a young rat - not a mouse. Bit of a Manuel/Basil Fawltey moment with his hamster. Good job this is not a B&B - can you imagine the comments in the visitors book.

Just made 36 Florentines - you know the little nutty/fruity bicks with dark choc on the back. Shall be giving some away as gifts - as long as l don’t eat them all.

We are amazing!!!

Talking of duvets!! Due to arthritis and now ms I’ve switched to two single quilts on our bed. It’s made life so much easier for me and my husband…his health is not that great either. xxx

Hi everyone. How do you all do it, keep telling yourselves that you are amazing or its really good that you can still manage to do things? I am really struggling with what R has lost, she is 16 and her life is so limited before she has had even had a chance to do anything yet. She went out on Monday with a friend for lunch and to do a spot of Christmas shopping, she was out for just over 3 hours. She phoned me from the bus crying, she was anxious as she felt dizzy, was sore and fatigued, she was scared she was going to be unwell with no one there to take care of her. I met her off the bus and she started crying as soon as she saw me, I tried to console her by telling her how proud I was of her for going out with her friend and being able to stay out for over 3 hours. Inside I was screaming. She is 16, I should be having to phone her to find out where she is, who she is with and what she is up to instead of almost throwing her a party because she managed to stay out for a few hours. I am so scared of letting her down, my mask is firmly in place and I encourage her and praise her all the time for every little thing she manages but to be truthful, what she can manage to do is very little and it’s pathetic. I am so very very sad. Please tell me it get’s better, that this is not it for her, I can’t stand it? Lx

Spacejacket - thanks for making me giggle, it reminded me of when I woke from a bad dream about an ear infection… I got out of bed and prodded the dead frog with my barefoot! Have you ever heard the horrible screaming noise a frog makes when being attacked by a cat? I think it probably explained my dream!!!

I remember another time when my step-dad had to go and get the shovel to remove the dead rat from the doorstep, afterwards he came in grumbling that the cat was a fraud as rigimortis had already set in apparently :smiley:

When my sister got a cat it would proudly bring home kebab wrappers, the most impressive thing was that he managed to negoiate almost whole poppadoms thru a cat-flap snigger

Sonia x

Aw Linda, you and Rachel will both be in my prayers… I truly hope that she will reach a kind of steady state where you both know roughly what to expect :frowning:

I know you’ve been finding this heart-breaking and I’m not surprised as she is so young and she’s had such a punishing journey so far.

Sending you both love & hugs

Sonia x

Hello Lindy. Most parents want to be there for their children and make things perfect. It’s painful for you as a mum to watch your daughter struggling…I’m glad it’s me with ms and not one of my children. You say your mask is firmly in place. I understand you feeling sad about your daughters illness but you have to try and move forwards. Your daughter is only sixteen and has so much growing up to do and life experiences to enjoy. Having ms will not stop her living her life. Its a matter of making the right adjustments. Keep being there for her and encouraging her to be independent. No ones knows what’s in the future…that’s the excitement of life. You won’t let her down…you love her!! Take care xxx

[quote=“nindancer”]

Spacejacket - thanks for making me giggle, it reminded me of when I woke from a bad dream about an ear infection… I got out of bed and prodded the dead frog with my barefoot! Have you ever heard the horrible screaming noise a frog makes when being attacked by a cat? I think it probably explained my dream!!!

I remember another time when my step-dad had to go and get the shovel to remove the dead rat from the doorstep, afterwards he came in grumbling that the cat was a fraud as rigimortis had already set in apparently :smiley:

When my sister got a cat it would proudly bring home kebab wrappers, the most impressive thing was that he managed to negoiate almost whole poppadoms thru a cat-flap snigger

Sonia x

[/quote] Sonia, That was the awful thing - rigormortis had set in- the rat was a ‘stiff’. So that meant the cat had brought it in some time ago. She brings something in every night - climbs up onto the lean-to and squeezes in through the bathroom window - and is so proud of her ‘offerings’. Now, l keep looking to see what is under the bedstead. Thankfully she never catches birds.

Lindy,

l remember how upset my parents were when they first saw me - after my dx. l was 35 and expecting my daughter -and l looked as if l had suffered a stroke. They lived 3hrs away from me - so l did not get to see them as often as l would have liked.

But l can still see the look on their faces when they saw me trying to walk and talk. Mums now 90 - and lives just around the corner from me. When we go out together - she can step out and walk without the need of a stick - whilst l am on a scooter or if its indoors - a rollator. After l had my hip replacement - she came round everyday to see what she could do for me. And l should be looking after her - not the other way round.

Love to you and Rachel- Lets hope that it will not be long before a cure can be found and she can live her life the way she should. And l get to see my mum’s relief that after 31yrs things will get better.

Linda there is a hope that Rachael’s MS will steady up so try not to think that she will deteriorate and deteriorate. Mine progressed quite quickly at the beginning then slowed right down so I am hoping and praying that the same thing happens with Rachael.

A lot of us on here are old timers and that has helped us all with our outlook. I truly hope Rachael will get to that point soon. It does take a time to get to that point but I hope Rachael and yourself get there soon.

Shazzie xx

spacejacket - i had hysterics reading about your rat and then sonia your story made me choke!

i must stop drinking coffee whilst using my laptop!!!

carole xxx