Walking trouble

Had my latest neuro report today and in it states i now move with a spastic gait? What a horrible term.

I know ive had problems walking this last year, and i know at times its very bad, but to read it in the above terms kind of made me feel sick.

Anyone else have this problem?

My first neuro report 17 years ago had exactly that term in it.

It became a family joke as in “when do you get the spastic fence?” etc. We embraced the term and everything became Spazzy. The Spazzy Badge (AKA Blue Badge) Spazzy walking stick, Spazzy benefit etc.

Don’t let it get you down.

Jane

I was referred to the spinal unit initially and the consultant I saw said I had a ‘severely disturbed gait’. So, MRI then neurology, then told it was MS… I knew so little about MS that when I’d read more it obviously panicked me - then really gave me the giggles and I sang Ian Dury for days in my head when things were tough (spasticus autisticus is now my anthem that I even sing through gritted teeth when I get stuck/can’t balance!). I had heard of ataxia and was kind of hoping for that when I found I had been referred to neurology, I had no idea that a few weeks later I would say yes, ataxia, spasticity and vertigo are a few of my symptoms!

Like Jane says, don’t let it get you down It does sounds horrible but I can cope with that, sploshing tea when I carry it is more annoying :wink: Personally, Ian Dury works for me but I’m sure I’ll find other themes for my various wobbles and unreliable body parts as time goes on…

Sonia x

and don’t forget “Spasticus Autisticus”

carole x

Hi, when the words spastic or spasticity were first used to describe my condition, I felt quite upset too. This was probably due to having heard the words used in an insulting way.

My label is;

spastic paraparesis…there you go, eh?

luv Pollx

I agree with Polly,

I think it’s only upsetting today for those of us of a certain age who remember it being bandied about as an insult (and almost always referring to mental impairment, though of course, it doesn’t mean that at all).

I think, when used in its correct sense, by a clinician, it carries no derogatory sense at all.

I know full well I’ve got spasticity. I take drugs for spasticity. It would be useless to pretend I haven’t got it. But it’s nothing at all to do with IQ.

Tina

Hi Sheriff JW

I have very stiff legs especially left one which was easier to semi circle round than lift (if you know what I mean). I say I have spasticity in my legs , sounds a little better. Liked Jane’s version of things!

Was referred to the orthotics dept which sorted me out with a Toe off - carbon fibre arrangement that goes under your foot and twists up the front of your leg up to your knee, held in place with velsro straps. The carbon fibre keeps my foot up and makes walking much easier. ( it’s comfortable and I’m wearing it now with sandles and trousers and it’s hardly noticable)

Ask your neuro or MS nurse about it.

Jen

Ah, that old MS semi circular walk! (and yes, it is my left leg too…)

A