Two Queries; Balance issues and Veggie diet

Hi,

I’m reasonably new to all of this, I was diagnosed with RRMS a few months back. It has been quite the bombshell. I haven’t had an opportunity to speak to an MS nurse as yet. I’m awaiting another MRI and many blood tests to return before they decide upon medication.

My balance has fluctuated enormously since November. Sometimes I am fine, other times I’m walking like I’ve drank copious amounts of wine. It was improving but it seems to be back to drunken legs again. I live alone, I’m reasonably isoalted and have a fair amount of things to be travelling to (public trransport). I’m not quite sure what to do. Combined with the balance issues, I am also wearing an eye patch because I have double vision due to 6th Nerve Palsy and my right eye is also cloudy/colour drained due to inflammation of my Optic Nerve. No-body is aware that half of the world is blacked out for me so I have had several near misses from people waking across my path and I don’t see them coming! I’m not sure if a walking aid would help, if so would I go for a walking stick or frame or chair. I’m hoping things will improve but right now I’m feeling a bit trapped. Any experiences shared would be great.

My second query was vegetarianism. I’ve been veggie for a few years and am keen not to give this up…however when I queried about lifestyle things to the consultant he mentioned fish. I told him I was veggie so he sugggested fish oil…but I’m still having a moral dilemma. Is there something that I can only obtain from oily fish? Or are there other veggie routes I can go down that would have the same kind of impact? For example would flaxseed be a good alternative or would it still not quite match the benefits of fish oils?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share,

x

Hiya Balloon 90

'Am sorry to hear of your diagnosis…I am undiagnosed and not able to help you with the fish oil question etc…but here is a BUMP…which I think a BUMP gets you a bit nearer to the top of the list on the forum.

Take good care of yourself

Michelle x

Ask to see a dietician they can help with ur veggie question. I was only diagnosed in November and got sent to ms rehabilitation centre. Now my memory is rubbish but fish oil was mentioned but also a vegetable one may be better. Hmmm if only I could remember. I’m positive a dietician could help with that: if you speak to ms nurse they could refer you. Have u had steroids yet? They can help. I had bad optic neurosis last year it was my eye muscles that didn’t work Sorry I can’t be much more help x

Hi

I eat mainly veg because I love it and tend to use avocado which has a high oil content in salads and sandwiches. Many people over the years have mentioned diet but there is no proof either way except I will say that I feel my most well in mood and ability when I have a raw food diet. My skin also looks wonderful but I find it hard to stick to.

Ask to be referred to the ms outreach team which might be through the Rehab Consultant - it is in my area. It is wonderful being able to phone an expert (Physiotherapist, Continence Nurse etc) and get a call back in often a short time. This gives me confidence and I am sure you would benefit.

Any problems with eyes is hard and yes I would go for a walking stick (can be bought everywhere) as this helps people register that you have a problem (or you could hit them with it…). You are in charge, make yourself heard and get what you need to live. There are lots of friends on this site who will help so stay positive and as relaxed as possible - it will help.

Cheers

Moira

hi balloon

definitely get a walking stick, i got mine from my local chemist for £4

i live on a main road which is often like the M6 but when i use my stick, drivers seem to give me more time to cross.

omega 3 is the fish oil they talk about.

there are definitely other sources that are not fish.

i’m not sure because i no longer trust my memory but i think rapeseed oil has omega 3. better check it though.

carole x

Hi balloon.90!

I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 19 years old and I’m 45 now, so I do understand your moral dilemma.

The following Harvard website entry is very informative and will give you all the information you need about Omega 3 and 6 and fish oils.

Happy reading!

Tracyann x

ps. You should get to see the MS Nurse soon, especially as you will be looking at starting on DMDs. Good luck!

I’m allergic to fish so can’t take fish oil and my neurologist recommended flaxseed oil and said it’s just as good as fish oil and still contains the omega oils that we need. Holland & Barrett do a flaxseed oil that contains the omega oils that we need and they do a vegetarian option. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all your comments regarding balance and vegetarianism, the link was very helpful too.

I took a very unsteady stroll to the pharmacy to get a walking stick yesterday after reading these comments. It has helped and I am awaiting an app with the MS nurse as I haven’t seen one since being diagnosed.

I am experiencing pretty bad fatigue and weakness too…which combined with balance and vision issues makes for quite a nightmare. Just waking from A to B is exhausting along with carrying my bag etc. A thought popped into my head yesterday, whether a wheelchair would actually help in the short-term. I’m in my 20s and definitely don’t want to use one but getting out and about is increasingly difficult. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your thoughts and support,

Hi,

Thank you so much for all your comments regarding balance and vegetarianism, the link was very helpful too.

I took a very unsteady stroll to the pharmacy to get a walking stick yesterday after reading these comments. It has helped and I am awaiting an app with the MS nurse as I haven’t seen one since being diagnosed.

I am experiencing pretty bad fatigue and weakness too…which combined with balance and vision issues makes for quite a nightmare. Just waking from A to B is exhausting along with carrying my bag etc. A thought popped into my head yesterday, whether a wheelchair would actually help in the short-term. I’m in my 20s and definitely don’t want to use one but getting out and about is increasingly difficult. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your thoughts and support,

Hi,

There are veggie options out there!! I’ve been veggie since I was about 9 and I’m 33 now, I take a capsule called “vertese” It has Omega 3 6 and 9 which the same as fish oil, it’s vegetarian society approved as the capsule isn’t made from gelatine. I think that Holland and Barrett have stopped selling them now but Boots have them. They are in and orange and white box if you’re looking for them.

As for your balance I’m the same, finally admitted it during a relapse last June and got a stick not been too bad really, on really bad days I use 2, I have considered a wheelchair but 2 sticks seem to be enough at the moment, I’ve got the folding sticks so I can keep my second one in my bag and get it get out if I need it when out walking. aving a stick does tend to make people give you a wider berth so that hopefully would be the end of the near miss issue!

Hope that helps a bit, Keep posted about how your getting on

Take care

BeckyX