The wheelchair thing

Hello from a crisp Crowborough.

Thoughts about being in a wheelchair. After the wangling of pride, necessity and the sinking brick of giving in, I’ve been thinking about the day to stay stuff.

Here it is:

Steve

Hi Steve , I loved reading your blog , it made me laugh. The pavements in Frodsham arnt bad compared to other places, but it’s often selfish parking that makes life hard for Frazer and myself. We are a pretty good team and I can get through some narrow gaps but some days I just feel so cross . Today I had to spike myself with the bushes trying so hard not to scratch the car of the man who had parked and hadnt left me any room, even poor Frazer was fed up as he bravely followed behind my chair. I’d love to give thes people a say in a wheelchair negotiating the pavements with the wheely bins and the cars that leave you a narrow gap . The curbs are difficult too. Sometimes I have to go out of my way to find a matching dropped kerb or risk falling out of my chair while trying to bump down a curb . There is some fun to it though like rolling over cobbles and shaking all over the chair …it always make me laugh I feel like a giddy child . Or attempting to ride down the steepest road in Chester…just for the fun of it and being told that I was stupid by a nosy passing man. I might of been a bit Daft but me and Frazer liked the dare devil thrill of it! I hope things are still good for you Steve …I must say your kitchen looked tidied than mine . I hope you are still having lots of adventures. Michelle and Frazer (assistance dog and best friend) xx

1 Like

Love to read Steve, as always. Oh I can identify with pretty much all of what you wrote. Husband insists on trying to “help” put my coat on while I’m seated in the wheelchair. If I want to wear a coat I will usually put it on while standing with the walker. If he insists it’s cold/wet/windy, whatever, and trys to manhandle me into the said coat, it quickly becomes apparent that he never dressed/undressed a Barbie doll! My arm is twisted and turned corkscrew like, to get it into the sleeve. The wrist deftly grabbed and forced into the right exit, down the correct sleeve. Grrrr.

Dropped kerb one side, not dropped directly opposite, ignorant drivers having parked across the dropped kerb. (No yellow lines there so no probs!) Overgrown hedging atop a garden wall. Dog poo!!! Try as I might to avoid it, invariably I will find some to ride through unnoticed, grinding it thoroughly into the tread. Urgh! People walking blindly, head bent, eyes down fixed on their phones. On a number of occasions I’ve narrowly avoided people landing on my lap, then glaring at me as if I’m the one at fault.

Love your kitchen Steve. Hope you are doing well and kicking cancer good and proper. X

1 Like

Another enjoyable read Steve. I’m not in a wheelchair but at times I can only shuffle a short distance with my trolley and every movement I make sends sciatic pain down both legs, my feet feel like someone has thrashed them with a baseball bat. Every trip to the kitchen or bathroom makes me want to cry, I can’t move quickly so often end up wet, which means a trip upstairs. Also I have porches on both the front and back doors where the floors aren’t level so locking and unlocking doors is challenging. I take my hat off to those of you that struggle like this constantly, and for you all to be so positive. Respect! Usually I can manage with the pain at a mild or moderate level and using a stick or crutches. Falling is an issue but I am used to coping with bruising, a minor hindrance. Until you experience a difficulty you don’t understand the silly day to day problems you encounter. Your blogs are so honest yet you make it sound light hearted. You really are a star. Cath

1 Like