The media and vitamin D.

Hi everyone

At last the media are reporting that a lack of vitamin D can lead to diseases other than rickets. I read an article in my dad’s Mail (I wouldn’t buy it!) and my daughter read an article in the Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/14/vitamin-d-deficiency-supplement. Not only MS but other diseases such as diabetes and tuberculosis are also linked to a lack of sunshine.

At last they are advocating it as a supplement.

Wendy x

i have my levels checked when i have my bloods done. but i never find out the level.

my gp just says its in the normal range but i know that msers need more.

carole x

my dr has put me on vitamin D tablets for the next 4 months as hes said my levels are too low, i had no idea that ur supposed to keep a eye on ur vitamin levels

There is no reason whatsoever that you will remember me being told by my bestest ever Neuro to start on D3 supplement .She said to get them off t’internet and take 4,000 IU daily.The capsules are 5,000 IU,so one a day it was.However,whilst mooching about on here I read that some of us are on 10,000 a day.Not to be outdone I’ve upped my dosage to 10K

The stuff is giving me energy,it doesn’t fight with any of t’other stuff I swallow or absorb and nothing has fallen off or caught fire.No levels were checked,my next Neuro 20 minutes is in December 2013 so she’s not concerned.I’m going to write to her with the good news,'cos she is a Registrar and I’ll probably never see her again.Shame…Best appointment in 11 years,and I’ve never seen a Neuro in beautifully filled tight jeans and boots before.No apologies,I’m knackered not neutered.

I’m not surprised that the ‘lid is off’ with the stuff and it’s being boosted.Just hope the price doesn’t go up,and availability down. I never knew that Rickets is prevelant,and that makes me think of Dickensian Workhouses,Cholera and Jack the Ripper.

Wb

Yes, I’m afraid that rickets is back. I think it is mainly in the emigrant community where dairy isn’t consumed.

I buy my D3 from a reputable supplier and my daughter takes it too. Not such a silly mum, making her take those children’s vitamin supplements all those years ago!

Wb you were lucky coming across a neurologist who advocates vitamin D, when I mentioned it a few years back my Neurologist (at the time), totally ignored me.

Wendy x

I am one of the ones that were put on 10,000iu vitamin d3 a day when my level was only 20 this was back on April after a holiday abroad in sunny 32 degrees heat. After a recent blood test my level is now up to 375 which is very good and nicely high. After seeing my consultant on Thursday he has told me to take 10,000iu every other day. One thing he pointed out which I thought I would make people aware of is that once your levels are up and they are high it’s only recommended 5,000iu a day because too much vitamin d3 can lead to calcification of the bones which can lead to loads of complications. So if anyone is now taking 10,000iu a day it’s worth getting your level rechecked to make sure it’s not too high. Thought I’d share the wisdom of my very good neurologist who seems to know lots!

Indeed the level regarded as normal is about half that humans living as human DNA evolved reach vitamin d equilbrium.

MS is an INFLAMMATORY condition and Vitamin D3 is most effective as an anti inflammatory agent at 50ng/ml 125nmol/l which is the natural level our body would attain and maintain if we lived naked outdoor lives. It’s also the level at which human milk is a complete vitamin d replete food for human babies.

It usually takes 3~5 months using 1000iu/daily for each 25lbs you weigh to reach that level.

CityAssays Birmingham NHS pathlab offer postal vitamin d testing for £25 each (Less if you bulkBuy|)

Amazon do 360 x 5000iu vitamin d3 capsules for less than £10 so it’s cheap enough to take an effective amount.

[quote=“Karina1980”] a recent blood test my level is now up to 375 which is very good and nicely high. After seeing my consultant on Thursday he has told me to take 10,000iu every other day. [/quote] You are obviously a fairly high responder. It would be as well to recheck 25(OH)D again in 3~5 months as unless you go for a winter sunshine holiday you won’t be getting any from sunshine till next March.

[quote]I’s only recommended 5,000iu a day because too much vitamin d3 can lead to calcification of the bones which can lead to loads of complications.{/quote]Bones are supposed to have calcium in them. It’s the artieries that we don’t want accumulating calcium. It blocks them up and stops the blood flowing which isn’t a good idea. Vitamin K2 is the answer.

vitamin k2 and the calcium paradox is the title of a book which explains how to keep the calcium from blocking up your artieries.

Mercola has an indepth interview with the author

What You Need to Know About Vitamin K2, D and Calcium

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/16/vitamin-k2.aspx

Ted,it is many moons since A level chemistry(366 since the exam) and I’m stumped by bits of your post.Not everybody had to endure chemistry at school.Vitamin D3 is very important to us,but I have a sneeking suspicion that most of the readership will have ‘glazed over’ at ng/ml and nmol/l.May I humbly suggest a dilution factor of ~10 ish and run through the dosage to weight equation again.

Thanks, Wb