Stopping medication for Evoked potential test

Hi everyone,

My partner has been sent an appt for an Evoked potential test. The Nuro has asked him to stop taking his Baclofen (he takes 60mg a day) for a week before the test. He also takes Amatriptaline 3 times daily. We are dreading a week without the Baclofen as it helps so much with the spasms and stiffness.

Has anyone else had to stop medication for this procedure?

Also hew has not been told how to wean down the dose as the directions state not to stop abruptly! His GP is more than hopeless and really does not seem to care so asking for advice there seems a waste of time!

Many thanks for any insites.

hi your pharmacist is the best person to ask. mine are more than helpful. i wasn’t told to stop medication before my Evoked Potentials test. i was taking gabapentin and amitriptyline.

2 Likes

[quote=“windsweptgirlie”]

Hi everyone,

My partner has been sent an appt for an Evoked potential test. The Nuro has asked him to stop taking his Baclofen (he takes 60mg a day) for a week before the test. He also takes Amatriptaline 3 times daily. We are dreading a week without the Baclofen as it helps so much with the spasms and stiffness.

Has anyone else had to stop medication for this procedure?

Also hew has not been told how to wean down the dose as the directions state not to stop abruptly! His GP is more than hopeless and really does not seem to care so asking for advice there seems a waste of time!

Many thanks for any insites.

[/quote] ////////////////////////////////////////// Has he already been diagnosed with MS? I cant see why they need to stop but then maybe it will interrupt with the test results. I have had two VEP tests these are the two things got my diagnosis in the end the last one was worse then the first, and clearly showed demylination bilaterally which indicated I was progressing over time, as my first one was in 2008, the last one late 2015. but i dont remember being asked to stop drugs but to be fair i dont take anything. can you not contact your neuro secretary. Or pharmacy. Is baclofen a drug that has to be weaned down then? Oh crikey just been reading about it. this is the reason i dont take anything for my MS, these drugs are a nightmare to get off. It certainly states you should not just stop them. I would want to know why he is having potential tests, talk to pharmacy, and try to get hold of the neuro.

Ok, so just to clarify for anyone reading this in the future I got my tests mixed up! He needed to stop the Baclofen for a nerve conductivity test not the evoked potential test. He was able to continue taking Baclofen when he had his evoked potential test.

A slow withdrawal from the Baclofen was, as far as side effects, no problem. However being off the Baclofen was really hard and we remembered why he had started it in the first place! The night spasms and pain were awful and he spent a lot of the week in bed.

And no Crazy chick, he has not had a diagnosis yet, just lots and lots of appointments from Rheumatology (why are you here you clearly have not got a bad back) to Chronic fatigue (nope you don’t tick the boxes for CFS). He has not as yet ticked enough “typical” symptom boxes until recently having sight issues. That one made them listen. More tests on the horizon although I have come to realise after this 3 year battle for recognition of his neurological symptoms it’s a slow and steady process rather than a race!

it was my VEP tests which finally got me diagnosed. 16 long years. I think the tests are way too slow. has he had his VEPs? i had my last one november 2015 and got the results in FEBRUARY 2016 lol, they must have come by carrier pigeon. xxx