Forum

steroid iv treatment

two weeks ago i had iv steroid treatment i had a great week last week but this week my legs and feet are numb and my left arm has now decided to join them and i feel more tired than ever, i feel like i had the steroid treatment for no reason, has anyone else felt like this after this treatment

Hi KittyKate,

I had iv steroids a couple of years ago and if memory serves me correctly it took a good few weeks until things really started to improve (I’d lost the sight in my left eye).

Steroids are designed to help speed up the recovery of a relapse but not everyone finds they benefit from them.

As you felt better last week is there any chance that maybe you did a bit too much? I know I’ve done that in the past only for it to come back and bite me on the botty

Rest up as much as you can.

Debbie xx

Hi KittyKate,

I had iv steroids a couple of years ago and if memory serves me correctly it took a good few weeks until things really started to improve (I’d lost the sight in my left eye).

Steroids are designed to help speed up the recovery of a relapse but not everyone finds they benefit from them.

As you felt better last week is there any chance that maybe you did a bit too much? I know I’ve done that in the past only for it to come back and bite me on the botty

Rest up as much as you can.

Debbie xx

Don’t know what happened there…apologies for the duplicate post!

Debbie xx

Steroids give a lot of us a big burst of energy that wears off after a few days/week or so, but the steroids themselves stay in your system for many weeks so there is still a chance that they are doing some good for you.

Tbh though, you should probably know that steroids don’t always work. I’ve only ever had them twice. The first time I had oral steroids and they made me so ill I stopped after only two days (with my neuro’s blessing). I swore then I would never have them again, but gave in when I was prescribed IV steroids in 2010. Unfortunately they had no effect on my symptoms, possibly because they wouldn’t let me have them until after a long wait for an MRI scan which meant I got them too late. (They also gave me stomach ulcers and set off some nasty digestive problems that I still have now. So, I am not exactly a fan of steroids!) However, many many people with MS find them to be incredibly helpful and they are the only drug that can shorten a relapse. So even if they don’t work for you on this occasion, they may in the future. But with any luck, as I already said, they are still doing their job and you’ll begin to see some benefit soon.

Hang in there!

Karen x

i did rest up as much as i could which is quite difficult sometimes as i’m a single mum so have lots of running around to do, i did get the burst of energy my kitchen has never been so clean, but i just feel so tired this week and the numbness in my legs is so annoying, my arms back to normal today which is good but the sight in my left eye has gone which is annoying just feel like screaming today

The loss of sight in your left eye could be optic neuritis, but whatever it is needs to be checked out asap by someone qualified - speak to your your GP or neuro, they may even refer you to opthamologist. Our eyesight is far too precious to take any chances with.

Resting up is difficult for most of us but having children makes it’s even harder. Stick to doing only the absolute necesary stuff for now and try to reduce things like the amount of times you climb the stairs for example. Can relatives or friends not help out a little in the meantime?

Hope things start to improve very soon but definitely get your eye looked at.

Debbie xx