Standing rollator

Does anyone use a standing rollator? Usually when my legs are at their worst, so are my hands and back, so I’m thinking that the traditional rollator won’t be any good for me.

I’ve always maintained good use of my forearms, and the standing versions would let me do that while keeping me upright. The downside is that I’ve read some reviews that say they tend to be top heavy and the risk of falling is greater.

I did but i needed to rest and gravitated to a rollator with a seat which i have now. I found the standing one not much difference overal. I love my sitting rollator its set to my height perfectly as i am tallish and can stand up straight if i need too. my seat gives me safety as sometimes i just have to sit down.

The standing one i had was 3 wheeler. Actually i find my rollator i use outside on our council cut grass is worth a work out in the gym lol, as its hard work pushing it through poorly cut clumpy grass lol.

This is what I’m considering. I like that it has a seat with handles. But don’t your knees hit the seat when you walk? The whole rollator-with-seat thing makes me worry that the whole thing would be awkward to use.

This is what I used when I could walk.

I’ve cropped it so you can’t see the make - not that you’d definitely be able to get this type in the States, they’re a Norwegian company so maybe only available in Europe.

Prior to this I had a cheap triwalker with no seat, it suited me for some time (before that I had crutches, which were the follow on from just one crutch, which followed a stick … )

With this type, my knees definitely didn’t hit the seat or the front mesh basket. Basically because the seat was a strong mesh without anything underneath it. I used the seat far more for holding things as I walked round the house. Sitting on the seat would have required a bit more balance than I had.

A sturdy walker like this is great for supporting you as you walk. If you need it (and can use it) the seat is handy. The bag is good for holding possessions as you walk. If you use it outside, it would hold shopping. This make even have add ons like umbrellas that clip on.

Good luck finding the right kind of walker for you.

Sue

Is there any particular wheel size or type I should be looking for? I want something that will let me go through grass. So far, I need one more for outside than I do inside.

Have a look at All Terrain Rollators
There is a world of difference between a rollator built to go outside from one designed for pottering around indoors.

I’m having trouble finding anything available like that over here. Americans aren’t known for spending time outside like the Europeans do, so the rollators here are focused more on how they work on wall-to-wall carpeting and linoleum.

I’m not giving up yet, but I think I’m going to have to settle for something less than what I want.

Oh i tried one similar i didnt like it. you rely on your elbow strength to move forward. I found it really uncomfortable. Not sure it had that thing or seat and yes i would assume it would hit your knees. Not for me i preferred my normal rollator with a seat as i have to sit all the time. x

For people in the USA check out Dave Bexfield at ActiveMSUser.org for some more ideas. Had a quick look but didn’t see anything apart from the Alinker which looked interesting until I thought of how useful it would be on hills.

I’ve wondered about that, CC, but I’ve found when I use a shopping cart I tend to push and steer with my forearms and elbows more than my hands.

Ssssue sent me a link for a foreign off-road rollator, so I’m going to keep looking and see what I can find that’s reasonably affordable over here.

We do have a couple stores nearby that sell disability products, but when I went through one of them all they had were high-end products.

1 Like

Hello again Norasmum

If you do a Google search on the words ‘mobility’ and ‘USA’, there are a number of online retailers selling walkers that are much more affordable. Admitedly, there are some that cost loads more even than the one I sent you earlier! But there are others that are less than $200 or even under $100.

Sue

1 Like

ah the joys of a supermarket trolley, long gone out of my grasp. Cant remember the last time i used one, oh yes gosh about 10 year ago it was clipped to the wheelchair so no pushing needed lol. xxxx

lol. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I had to go inside the grocery store. I’m able to order online now and just have my son drive me there to pick it up. We live too far away for a delivery.

1 Like

Yeh I am on friendly terms with all my delivery drivers lol…