Staff question: What does "unable to send email" mean?

If you read my posts and think wtf? but it brings childhood flashbacks/nostalgic glows and leaves you smiling, then job done. I also don’t have to kill a smurf. Chorlton has my marbles, I have his kerrplunk. Tina, you groovy cat you. Superlative no. Random ramblings maybe. Say what you see, but keep it clean ! I’ve yet to take my happy pills too. People ask why I don’t drink. I ask them if they could imagine if I did… Is Enya’s Orinoco Flow about womble fornication ? Save the whales… Anyone seen a bandwagon to jump on ? :wink:

I have a drawing of a womble on my fridge, I’ll have you know!

My sister sent it to me - not very long ago - within the last two years I’d say.

It said “to Tina”, and kisses. Naturally enough, I assumed it was from one of the kids (my nephews).

I did think it looked for all the world like a womble. But I know how old things sometimes have a resurgence, and not having children of my own, I don’t know all the latest fads, so I thought: “Maybe they’re back?”

There was no explanation, except: “I thought you should probably have this” (well yes, since it is addressed to me).

Anyway, what it turned out was it was my sister’s childhood drawing to me, which for some reason she still had at home, after 35 years, umpteen house moves, and a failed marriage.

I’ve no idea how or why it managed to survive all these years. My sister is neither sentimental, nor a hoarder - unlike me. So what an odd thing to have lasted all these years. And why was it among her possessions, not mine - had she just forgotten to give it to me for 35 years?

My sister and I are not close, but her mysterious 35-year-old womble picture is nevertheless on my fridge.

Tina

x

Hi Tina

Whats a womble?

Are you really too young to have been subjected to them, Graham? Then I guess you won’t have heard of the Bay City Rollers, either? Or spacehoppers? :wink:

Wombles were creatures from children’s fiction, hugely popular in the 70s. Without resorting to Wiki, I seem to remember they were created by Elizabeth Beresford, but there was a huge spin-off industry - Womble merchandise and a Womble band created by (I think) Mike Batt.

Wombles were furry, humanlike creatures - perhaps something a bit similar to a Hobbit. They had long snouts - a bit like a very large mouse, or an anteater or something.

They were gentle and friendly, and inhabited Wimbledon Common. They were an early type of eco-warrior or freecycler, before such terms were common, or possibly even invented, because they lived by salvaging and reusing things people had discarded as junk.

All their names were geographically themed, and could be found in an atlas (doesn’t seem to have been a particular reason - just their trademark source of odd and eccentric names. I suppose, in a sense, even their names were recycled, just like everything else they used).

Haha! Don’t think I’ve ever been called on to explain “Womble” before. Years later, they sound a pretty unlikely cult hit, but for those of us of a certain age, there was a time they were literally everywhere.

Tina

x