Something for us SPMSers!

I’ve taken this from the MSTrust website…

Clinical trial for secondary progressive MS

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/news/article.jsp?id=5214

I hope that means there’ll be something out there to help me! I don’t know if I’m not ‘ill’ enough, or there is no hope for me

I really want a cure, but the hope that there is at least one treatment out there that might make a difference to my life would be very very nice!

Source MS Trust:# "Clinical trial for secondary progressive MS

27 January 2012

Author: MS Trust

A phase III trial, Ascend, involving 850 people in 15 countries will investigate the effectiveness of natalizumab (Tysabri) in secondary progressive MS.

Many people initially diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS (RRMS) find that over time the frequency of relapses decrease but disability gradually increases. This is known as secondary progressive MS.

The beta interferon disease modifying drug therapies (Avonex, Rebif, Betaferon, Extavia) can be of benefit in secondary progressive MS if disabling relapses are regular. However, it is recommended that treatment is stopped if a person no longer experiences relapses.

Natalizumab is currently given to people in the UK who have highly active relapse remitting MS who have failed to respond to beta interferon or have rapidly evolving severe RRMS.

Biogen have announced a trial to test whether natalizumab will stop the inflammation in the central nervous system that results in nerve damage and help to slow down disease progression. The Ascend trial will enrol 850 people with secondary progressive MS who have not had any prior natalizumab treatment. Participants will be given 300mg natalizumab or placebo by intravenous infusion every four weeks for 96 weeks. To be considered for the study, participants will have to fulfil strict criteria, including being aged between 18 and 58, with a diagnosis of SPMS for at least two years, score between 3.0 and 6.5 in the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS), and show signs of disease progression.

In the UK, there are a number of trial centres taking part in this study, some of which are currently recruiting (London, Manchester and Liverpool). The study is expected to finish in December 2014. People who are interested in learning more about the study should speak with their neurologist or e-mail neurologyclinicaltrials@biogenidec.com."

Anyone in London, Manchester or Liverpool interested in taking part?

Unfortunately no trial centres in my area