Snacks with little or no saturated fat anyone?

Not so bad if you use dark choc, though not so nice!

Wendy x

Hi Marie

I use linseeds for my bowel problems, one tablespoon full followed by 2 glasses of water.

George Jelinek belives that it’s his very low saturated fat diet (with lots of fish oil and linseed oil) that has kept his MS at bay.

Apparently the combination of diet, vitamins, fish oil, linseed oil , along with meditation and exercise; can have an effect on progression and relapses. I have recently re-read his book and realised that you can do the diet even though you’re on DMDs. It is very difficult especially when you go out to eat but I reckon I’ve got nothing to loose. Apparenly takes a few years before you notice any benefit.

Wendy x

We have a ‘glut’ of courgettes in the garden - if you look away for a few mins they turn to marrows!! So l am just going to make some courgette fritters. Grate and dry off some of the moisture out of the courgettes. Add some lemon zest - beaten egg and gram flour [its gluten free chickpea] and in a non-stick pan -l use the one-cal spray - and cook - turn over before they burn. They are delicious - l sometimes add turmeric or chilli for extra spice. Eaten hot or cold. Actually we usually eat them all before they get a chance to get cold. Chopped fresh herbs are another ‘optional’ extra.

Mmm sounds delicious.

Wendy x

Thanks Polar Bear, I do like to have a carrot in the fridge (something my ms nurse suggested when I was on steroids a few months ago).

Wendy x

Yes lots of drugs do put on the pounds, I’m on Amitrip too but do try and eat most of my food in the early part of the day (not easy if you’re working). Also the vet once told me to buy my dog a smaller bowl, so she had smaller meals, (It worked). I’ve taken heed of this advice and only use a smallish plate for my meals, also smallish portion for my sweet (which consists of fruit and yogurt).

I hope you can find an easy way of shedding a few pounds.

Wendy x

Hi Wendy,

I snack on apples and bananas during the day, at the end of the day I sometimes treat myself to a Magnum. :slight_smile:

I have a really healthy diet; avoid wheat, dairy, caffeine and sugar. Not always 100% successful. I am feeling really well at the moment though and I am not on anything as yet.

Good luck.

Adrian x

Hi Wendy

I am following the Jelinek diet too and missed my snacks at first. Now, instead of having a biscuit with my tea or coffee I have two or three dates or, if I fancy something more substantial, an Eat Natural nut bar. Italian flat breads made with olive oil are nice (from Waitrose or M&S) - either on their own or spread with humous (made with olive oil), tapenade or other Mediterranean-type dips - my husband makes a yummy one with aubergines. I also Iike Pitta breads cut into strips with houmous (though can’t eat too many as gluten doesn’t really agree with me). Olives are another good snack - especially with a gin & tonic!

If you fancy something sweet, fresh red fruits, fruit compote or stewed apple are good with plain soya yoghurt or soya custard. And you can crumble in some meringue to make a sort of Eton Mess.

Finally a bowl of home made soup is a more substantial snack or light meal. If you get New Pathways magazine from MS-UK the latest edition includes a delicious Squash, sweet potato & apple soup - I made it this week & would thoroughly recommend it. I think it comes from the OMS website.

Happy snacking!

Hilary

By the way since following the Jelinek diet not so rigorously for 15 months and, since June 2013, pretty faithfully, I have lost about 20 lbs - without trying and without ever feeling hungry or deprived. I take 10mg of amitriptylene each night and this has not had any impact on my weight.

Hilary

Can you have sugar free jelly maybe? Oatcakes? Axx

Thank you all for your replies and Hilary, it’s nice to know I’m not alone on this diet, I do find it quite difficult at times, as people seem to think I’m a bit mad, no difference there then, I do get the feeling that people are saying “oh it’s Wendy with one of her weird diets”. (I was vegie for many years and I my family think that’'s why I have MS).

I believe my MS would have been a lot worse earlier on if I hadn’t stopped eating meat. I am determined to stick to it this time (if I can) and I have lost some weight already. A lot of what George Jelinek wrote in his book; is acknowledged by medics now.

I don’t exclude sugary things just saturated fat and unnatural food.

Wendy

I’m one of those boring people who has developed a deep mistrust of supermarkets over the years. If it’s ready made and in a packet, it’s probably full of preservatives, cost pennies to make and is being sold at a huge profit. I bought some kale chips the other day and felt awful about it. I like the idea about making fruit and nut balls. At least I’ll know what I’m eating.

Hiya,

How are you getting on?

I’m going to try the fruit and nut balls and add more seeds and raisins and cranberries (apricots don’t agree with me) maybe cinammon apple too ( whitworths do stacks of scrummy bits its in the home baking aisle you can get it all in tecos and i think asda)

been buying fruit and nut mixes from poundland (the dried cranberries are delicious in it) and pumpkin /sunflower seeds too. Thats pretty much what i snack on during the day. my chocolate/sweet cravings have disappeared

Struggling with the cost of gluten free items though! But my Dr has put bread and a mix ( i guess a sort of flour) on prescription for me! So will see what its like! Anyone else had it??

Kate x x

I’ve hear that one of prescription breads is good actually so fingers crossed for you Kate.

The company I mentioned that does the GF soups and meals is always sending me money off vouchers so it’s not bad value and convenient (LWWF).

Sonia x