Forum

risk assessment at work

Hi just wanted some advice on a risk assessment at work ,my employer has done a risk assessment on me which dictates what they say i can and cant do they say that i cannot use ladders incase i fall. i work in retail as a store manager and using ladders is a large part of my job i tried to explain that i have the common sense to know that if i have a day that i am feeling unwell then i would refrain from using them however i cannot do my job properly without using them i totally disagree with this decision and dont want to sign it where do i stand by making the decision not to sign?

Hi

Employers often conduct risk assessments for their liability insurance to cover themselves in case of accidents / injuries.

I am not allowed on the 2nd floor of my office, even though there is a lift. This is because in the event of a fire I could not evacuate in time and may delay others in their exiting. Like you, on a bad day i wouldn’t go on the 2nd floor but H&S is black & white with no ifs or buts.

Are there other alternatives than using ladders. Could Access to Work help with alternative methods ?

Legally, I am unsure of your right not to sign. Are you in a trade unon who ofter free legal advice?

Neil

Hi neil No im not in a trade union unfortunately .i understand the need for a risk assesment but was under the impression it should be a mutal decision feeling like im being told what i cant do its a bit of a sore subject anyway as ive been there 3years and never had one before .my area manager has told me i will be disciplined if i go against the decision or dont sign it which can lead to dismissal just wanted some advice really. Thanks for the response by the way .

Hi neil No im not in a trade union unfortunately .i understand the need for a risk assesment but was under the impression it should be a mutal decision feeling like im being told what i cant do its a bit of a sore subject anyway as ive been there 3years and never had one before .my area manager has told me i will be disciplined if i go against the decision or dont sign it which can lead to dismissal just wanted some advice really. Thanks for the response by the way .