Religion

I have always been a Christian but lost some of my faith due to church dogma, hypocrisy and my husband’s very synical views. I do believe that it was at this time that MS got hold of me. I have recently found some of the old faith combined with a new spiritual need that is helping me cope with the difficulties in my life, now that feels better, I’ve said it!

Wendyxx

I have never been religious, at all. But, each to their own, some people have a faith, some don’t - live and let live I think, but don’t bother trying to convert me to your way of thinking - I’ll listen to you because I’m interested in different points of view, but you won’t change me. If you dare suggest to me that developing MS was somehow linked to me not having a faith, you will get your head in your hands to play with.

Luisa x

H

I like it, Louisa.

luv Pollx

I would not brain wash any body to have a Christian beleife I would hope and pray for that person, and Christ would let you know about salvation . I know Jesus has given me eternal life, here our body dies and after that our spirits live on in heaven where we can worship and give thanks to our God.

Hiya

I went to church as a child, even helped out at Sunday School and went to a C of E high school but decided at the age of about 14 that I didn’t agree with organised religion so stopped going to church. My mum made me go and tell the vicar, who was great and listened to my reasons, ending with if I changed my views, I would always be welcomed back.

I’d say now that I’m agnostic rather than athiest and my MS diagnosis hasn’t changed any of that. We often have various religious groups canvassing, I often get confussed but I think Jehovas Whitnesses, Born Again Christians and Mormons have all knocked. I will always have a chat with them but I always say that I’m glad they have their beliefs and if it helps them lead a good life and be good to others, that’s great but I don’t feel I need a ‘named’ religion in order for me to do that so please don’t try to convince me that I should join you. I won’t tell anyone that they’re wrong to believe or not and I’d hope that they would show the same courtesy to me.

Sue

x

I am really not interested in religion at all, I think I have slight Pagan beliefs in that 'mother nature/ natural surrondings is what controls everything and maqnkind causes all the problems in the world. IO feel nthat religion causes more harm than good when people take it to extremes.

All in all I just consider myself to be Agnostic.

Hi everyone. Receiving my diagnosis hasn’t changed my religious beliefs. I’ve always thought “needs must” as in if a person needs religion then inevitably they will find one or attach themselves to the group consciousness as it were. Personally i know life does not belong to me as an individual person its me who belongs to life.

I hope the vicar said organised religion has absolutely nothing at all to do with an individual’s spiritual belief and faith!!! It is utterly irrelevant. It’s between you and God and that’s all. Having said that I’m no different to you at all. I totally disagree with organised religion, it has a lot to answer for - I used to be married to a vicar and it made me even more certain about that!

i dont meen to upset any one here as i understand that all people are entiteled to their own veiws and belifs but in my eyes religion is one of the biggest evils in the world. More wars have been faught in god’s name than for any other reason and its just another way of dividing people into groups wich breeds intolarance and hattred towords our fellow men. Take 911 for example if it wasnt for religion the crusades would never have happened and there would not be all the hatred there now is betwene muslims and christians wich causes all sorts of problems in the modern world. We are all human being and no other animal on this planet kills its own kind over such petty things as stories.and then theres the whole protistant catholic bit in irland and if i realy wanted to i could go on all day. MS was never going to change my veiws. It would take hard scientific evadence to change my veiws and as i dont see that happening any time soon i think i will stick with science

i agree with your views completely anonymous and that is sorta the attitude I have religion was the cause of World war 2 and led to the massacar of millions of Jews and many other needless wars and mass murders dating back as far as the crusades in the 11th Centurary when the Knights of Templar killed anyone who wasn’t Christian.

It’s true, Christians used to be as bad as the extremist Muslims are now and probably worse!

Religion is a totally different thing to whether there’s a God or not though cos it’s invented by man. I don’t think there is a God but if there is then he’s probably totally pissed off with religion!!

[quote=“Jon Wright666”]

religion was the cause of World war 2 [/quote]

That’s a new one for me - I’m a bit of a WW2 geek and have watched & read far more than my share of stuff on the war, but never heard anyone claim religion was the cause. I’m interested to know what the basis is for that claim.

Dan

[/quote]

I hope the vicar said organised religion has absolutely nothing at all to do with an individual’s spiritual belief and faith!!! It is utterly irrelevant. It’s between you and God and that’s all. Having said that I’m no different to you at all. I totally disagree with organised religion, it has a lot to answer for - I used to be married to a vicar and it made me even more certain about that!

[/quote]

I can’t remember fi he actually pointed that out to me but he did say that I didn’t have to go to church to believe in God and that God would be with me wherever I was. Maybe that’s the same thing.

Sue

x

[quote=“he_funk”]

Well Hitler hated Religion espesically the Jews and after slaughtering millions and invading other nations to convert them to the Nazi way of life other countries jumped into stop him.

Personally I don’t think Hitler hating the Jews mean it was therefore religion that was the cause of WW2 - it’s completely different from, say, the Crusades, where the Europeans believed (mistakenly of course) that they were acting in the name of God. It wasn’t religious belief that drove Hitler and the Nazis to commit the atrocities that they did. But then I guess there’s no point having a fight about who is right - that would be a tiny bit ironic!

Dan

The Nazis pursued an evil political ideology and the war had nothing whatsoever to do with religion. Was the invasion of Poland a religious act?

I am no fan of God stuff, but wars are generally political and often use religion as an excuse.

It is complete and utter rubbish to suggest that religion was the cause, or even one of the contributory factors, of World War 2.

May I remind everyone that Hitler did not only hate Jews. He also hated gypsies, black people, homosexuals and disabled people, including, one presumes, those with Multiple Sclerosis.

So if you say that religion was responsible for World War 2, then you must also say that the other groups of people that were gassed at Auschwitz and elsewhere were also to blame.

May I also point out that many people of faith had the courage to stand up to Hitler and the Nazis, and paid for it with their lives, most notably Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was hanged just before the end of the war, and Father (later Saint) Maximilian Kolbe, who volunteered to be put into an underground bunker at Auschwitz to be starved to death (in place of someone else) and was later executed by lethal injection.

In truth it is narrow minded and bigoted views (including those held by atheists as well as those of religious people) which are responsible for most wars. If religion was abolished tomorrow, it certainly wouldn’t stop wars from happening